Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-17-2002, 04:15 PM   #1

hi folks, new poster here with a question.

i have recently inherited a cabinet/table humidor with a copper lining. its a pretty thing, long legs, approx 14x14x14 humi, and a gadget drawer on top. stands about 27 in. high. made in the 1910s.

i have heard all about how copper is harmless, and how copper is terrible for cigars, and its been about 50/50. some say the copper will taint the cigars, others say copper was used BECAUSE if you don't disturb the aged/oxidized surface, copper is basically inert and will not effect anything. but no one had actually USED a copper lined humidor....

so, has anyone had EXPERIENCE with a copper lined humidor? and whats your take?

it held a steady 68% RH at 72F for 1 week with several slabs of sp. cedar, so i tossed in a bunch of "low risk" JR alts etc from another humidor. its settled down in two days and was back to 68% for the last two weeks, so it seems to work, i just wonder if there will be any long term influence from the copper?

great nostalgia...my grandmother remembers helping her dad pick out his evening cigar from this humidor when she was 4 or 5, and she was born 1914. i wish she remembered the names of what he smoked back then...he was a 'captain of industry" so could probably afford anything he wanted, if he knew the difference...

cheers!
Evenburn