Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Smokin Tunes

Smokin Tunes A place for musicians and music lovers (that also smoke cigars!) to discuss their passion.

Old 10-02-2006, 07:26 AM   #31
sd_smoker
Club Member

My dad was a DJ in college up in Idaho. He found this band from Washington called Captain Beyond and booked a couple shows. Fast forward 25 years and he stumbled across their album in a record shop that specialized in rarities, imports, etc. He brought it home and I was just blown away by these guys. They had a sound that was kind of a hybrid of Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin.
"Personal charisma is a force that undermines institutions as often as it sustains them. Political institutions need the more reliable buttresses of tradition and duty. Mass emotionalism and celebrity-worship are hostile to any constitutional system."
sd_smoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 09:18 AM   #32
Sancho Panza
Floridays
Herf God

The Golden Band from Tiger Land kicked th' shit outa The Famous Maroon Band Saturday

William Faulkner, Intruder in the Dust 1948
Sancho Panza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 01:35 PM   #33
Bluespicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannish
underappreciated by the masses

Buddy Miller
Yup. Not by me though!
Old 10-05-2006, 06:36 AM   #34
mannish
Herf God

he recently produced/played on Solomn Burkes country record & I know you are SB fan. It's a great story, SB wasn't so sure about recording at Buddy's house as opposed to a big studio - He was there 8 days - Emmy Lou brought some homemade muffins - Dolly Parton showed up for a song & others showed up...etc SB said he was freaking out all this people coming to Buddy's house to record with him. He wanted to ask for autographs. It all started when SB was asked to perfrorm at the country awrds at the Ryman - He tore the house down and he said abotu Buddy 'I better grab this guy while he's hot' Buddy is ALWAY'S hot - tremendous player & really good guy.

I did not care for the samples a few were Buddy tunes that I like Buddy oding but the band is vert good.

the title is Nashville
mannish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 01:47 PM   #35
red
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catdeddy
The Rolling Sto........no wait.........you asked for UNDER rated bands, not the other way around.

And Kenny Wayne Sheppard will be better well known if he sang himself, instead of being the guitar hero to someone else's lead singer. (See Eric Clapton, Ted Nugent, etc. It is why Jonny Lang took off instead of Sheppard-in my opinion.)

He does sing on the latest album, and does his live shows now too, I believe.
You guys must be tonguing the hole or something...Smokerch
red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 08:57 AM   #36
Catdeddy
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catdeddy
The Rolling Sto........no wait.........you asked for UNDER rated bands, not the other way around.

And Kenny Wayne Sheppard will be better well known if he sang himself, instead of being the guitar hero to someone else's lead singer. (See Eric Clapton, Ted Nugent, etc. It is why Jonny Lang took off instead of Sheppard-in my opinion.)

He does sing on the latest album, and does his live shows now too, I believe.
Yes--that is what I heard also. His newest song is actually quite good, though I don't know about the rest of the album.

Someone else that is under-rated is Rory Gallagher.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:04 PM   #37
mannish
Herf God

Paul Size (Red Devils) - on one particular night in Memphis was one of the best blues guitarist I ever seen.

Donald Kinsey - very well could be the best living electric blues guitar player
(IMHO)

someone said Little Feat - I think the Lowell George LF era was one of the best RnR bands ever.

Robinella Conteras husband, Cruz Contreras. He can play every instrument - You people in & around Tennessee should keep your eyes peeled for Robinella & CC String Band from Maryville, TN - outstanding.
mannish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 02:22 PM   #38
zebo65
Herf Meister

Curtis Mayfield and Sly Stone often get overlooked.
zebo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 05:57 AM   #39
nivek
Club Member

Most underrated RUSH Very good guitarist, one of the best bass players of all time and The Very Best Drummer EVER!!!
Old 10-14-2006, 01:47 PM   #40
casual
Club Member

Just found some Bill Mallonee on You Tube. Yes. I'll put up some of my own video of him, when I figure out how to compress those suckers down a bit.

For now, enjoy these. IMHO, one of the best songwriters out there. Rich, heartbreaking lyric.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTB6r...elated&search=