Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Old 02-13-2011, 07:33 AM   #1
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

Good anti-anti-smoking op-ed

Quote:
Zealots start new war on smokers

By Jeff Jacoby Globe Columnist / February 13, 2011

MANY CITIES now prohibit smoking in outdoor parks, beaches, or public squares, so there is nothing surprising or original about a proposal to impose a similar ban in Boston. City Councilors Felix Arroyo and Salvatore LaMattina have introduced a measure that would make it illegal to light up a Marlboro in many open-air venues, and they justify it with the usual nanny-knows-best pieties about health and children.

“We want these public places to be smoke-free so that everyone can enjoy . . . our public spaces without injury to their health,’’ Arroyo declares. “We don’t want to expose our young children at the tot lot. We don’t want to expose families at the beach to smoke.’’

LaMattina says he resolved to seek a ban after watching a woman who was sitting on a park bench get up and move when a smoker appeared. He was indignant. “If people want to smoke, it’s their business. But when you’re in the park or the public space, I think people should smoke away from the public.’’

It’s an asinine proposal. Anyone who is sensitive to secondhand smoke can easily avoid it outdoors. Moving to another park bench or stretch of beach to get away from a cigarette may be annoying, but it isn’t the purpose of law — or the City Council’s job — to protect us from every conceivable annoyance. If the councilors were proposing to ban noisy children or trashy dress from public parks, who would take them seriously? But come up with another way to crack down on smoking, and virtually no restriction is beyond the pale. Why?

I am not now and never have been a smoker, I don’t like being in smoky rooms, and I impress on my kids (one of whom has asthma) the health risks of using tobacco. But contemporary opposition to smoking goes far beyond prudence about health risks. For some reason it has turned into a moral crusade. American society has been gripped by the conviction that smoking is not just unhealthy but immoral; not just a poor health choice but a shameful failing. Cigarette smokers have been transformed into modern outcasts, shunned and ostracized lest they corrupt the rest of us.

What explains this? No other personal habit is demonized as incessantly or banned as avidly as smoking. Americans who like to drink aren’t stigmatized in this way; why are those who like to smoke? Many of the same people who support every proposal to restrict tobacco would roll their eyes at anyone who called for reinstating the prohibition of alcohol. Why the difference? Alcohol has wrecked more marriages, caused more accidents, and fueled more crime than smoking ever has. Cigarettes may make you ill, but they won’t ruin your character or debauch your lifestyle. Yet elite opinion is ever-ready with new restrictions on the right of adults to smoke; the right of adults to drink it leaves in peace.

Read the whole thing.

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:57 AM   #2
tchapchap
Contributing Editor
Club Member

It’s encouraging that we’ve found ONE rational non-smoker. Unfortunately for every ONE of these we have ten thousand raving lunatics. This will continue to be an uphill battle.

I like his tobacco, alcohol comparison. Still, the whole thing defies logic. Then again, since when does logic have a place in public forum???

(___|CW|_______))))~~~~

(unauthorized use of signature prohibited )
tchapchap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:55 AM   #3
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

Jeff Jacoby.

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

TommyBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:00 AM   #4
KatDad
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyBB View Post
Jeff Jacoby.

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule it
H. L. Mencken

The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants
Albert Camus

The Land of the Free Because of the Brave
KatDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:14 AM   #5
xrundog
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

Smoking bans make it look like politicians:

1. Are actually doing something.

2. Give a shit about their constituents.

Hence they are popular and politically safe items on legislative agendas. And I should also mention that they cost little or nothing.
xrundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:04 PM   #6
tchapchap
Contributing Editor
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrundog View Post
Smoking bans make it look like politicians:

1. Are actually doing something.

2. Give a shit about their constituents.

Hence they are popular and politically safe items on legislative agendas. And I should also mention that they cost little or nothing.
BINGO!!!

(___|CW|_______))))~~~~

(unauthorized use of signature prohibited )
tchapchap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 01:48 PM   #7
tonycsmoke
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchapchap View Post
It’s encouraging that we’ve found ONE rational non-smoker. Unfortunately for every ONE of these we have ten thousand raving lunatics. This will continue to be an uphill battle.

I like his tobacco, alcohol comparison. Still, the whole thing defies logic. Then again, since when does logic have a place in public forum???
One of things I've learned studying this issue is that a vast percentage of non-smokers are very rational about SHS etc. There is a vocal minority that are employed to push the issue. Even among those its just a paycheck. There was a woman that employed by one of these groups recently. She said all the typical things about "smoke-free air" and being free the health risk of SHS. The funding for the group ended and she took a job as a reporter. Recently on the enterainment blog she wrote about how bars without smoke were missing a certain energy.

The unfortunate thing and this includes many smokers is that they won't do anything to stop bans. For most it just doesn't affect them.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:14 PM   #8
hankdon
Starting Member

On the heels of this movement will be the prohibition of smoking in the confines of your own home. What is the difference between a park bench and your back yard or porch? What's next, school lunches, cupcakes, bacon fat? Wait a minute, they are already on that.

Other issue, is mis-direction. What are they actually up to when attention is diverted from other more important issues facing town, city, state and federal governments with this crap? Hmmm.....