Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Old 03-12-2023, 07:40 AM   #1
smbauerllc
Friggin Tobacco Lover!
Herf Meister

For those with wineadors

What do you use for humidification?

Distilled water in a container, Bovedas, Heartfelt beads?

Also, where do you place your humidification device(s)?

Bottom, top, middle, scattered around every shelf?

Looking at getting a 250ct and dont know a lot about them when it comes to humidification

I friggin love cigars
smbauerllc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 08:34 AM   #2
Duffer
Administrator
Charter Member

I have a needone electric humidor..I love it…I do not use the tray as it has too many swings in humidity

I use a 69% 320 gram boveda pack and it keeps the humidity perfect..I keep it on the bottom as that is the only room I have..the thing about this humidor it has constant air movement as the fan is always going
For a 250 ct,you will need more boveda packs

Of course this goes along with a Govee devise

In Memory of Steve Faccenda (TOJE)
Duffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 08:51 AM   #3
smbauerllc
Friggin Tobacco Lover!
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffer View Post
I have a needone electric humidor..I love it…I do not use the tray as it has too many swings in humidity

I use a 69% 320 gram boveda pack and it keeps the humidity perfect..I keep it on the bottom as that is the only room I have..the thing about this humidor it has constant air movement as the fan is always going

For a 250 ct,you will need more boveda packs

Of course this goes along with a Govee devise
Thanks.
Yeah, if I go with Bovedas vs Heartfelt beads I already have sitting unused, i would get 3, 320gr 65% which I'm not sure if I should (if it even matters with the constant air circulation) spread then across the 3 drawers, or just spread out on the bottom....

As for the Govee, I have another bluetooth one on my list already, so that's taken care of. Already have 2 other bluetooth Govees and they are great, as is the app for them.

Also, what's the best method of seasoning a 1cu. Litre. wineador with 3 spanish cedar bins?

I friggin love cigars

Last edited by smbauerllc; 03-12-2023 at 09:12 AM.
Old 03-12-2023, 09:12 AM   #4
Duffer
Administrator
Charter Member

Mines a 150 ct, so three for you would be more than what is need…I first used the beads also but it was causing higher humidity than what I wanted…

As far as seasoning, I wiped down the cedar shelves with distilled water a couple of times, put in a higher boveda pack and let it sit for a week..it did the job..

If you get more packs, spreading them around is not a bad idea, but may not be necessary

Old 03-12-2023, 09:28 AM   #5
smbauerllc
Friggin Tobacco Lover!
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffer View Post
Mines a 150 ct, so three for you would be more than what is need…I first used the beads also but it was causing higher humidity than what I wanted…

As far as seasoning, I wiped down the cedar shelves with distilled water a couple of times, put in a higher boveda pack and let it sit for a week..it did the job..

If you get more packs, spreading them around is not a bad idea, but may not be necessary
Yeah, Boveda says 1, 320gr is good for 100 cigars, so 3 would be good for 300 even though mine would only hold 250 (if I'm lucky. Humidor manufacturers always seem to say a humidor will hold a fair bit more than it actually will in reality).

Never hurts to have a little extra with Bovedas imho. Faster re-humidication after opening, and better functionality not being right at the exact minimum.

Cool, thanks. My plan was to wipe down the shelves with distilled water, and fill the tub it comes with, with distilled water to have the same effect as using an 84% Boveda I would have to buy, and at $28 each, plus other accessories, cost is adding up quickly.

I friggin love cigars
Old 03-13-2023, 06:27 AM   #6
smbauerllc
Friggin Tobacco Lover!
Herf Meister

Have decided that if I'm going to shell out for a Wineador, I'm going to go big or go home, so now planning to get the:

NEEDONE 48L Electric Humidor 300 Counts Cigar Cooler Humidor Humidifier Box with Temp-Heating 3 Spanish Cedar Wood Shelves & 1 Drawer

Found a place that makes spanish cedar slat bottom (for airflow) drawers to replace the shelves with, as it seems easier and safer, and more likely to fit close to the actual 300 vs trying to stack loose cigars on a shelf.

Will have 4 freed up 65% 320gr Bovedas to spread out from the bottom and in each shelf to the top, so it should have equal rh at every level, especially with the circulation these have.

Also, anyone see any problems with using some stain + poly pre-mix just on the very front of the drawers only to spruce the unit up a bit?

I can get the shelves with veneers on the very front of the same color stain I'm looking at, but frankly this is a cheaper option and I have a little more control over how light or dark they come out doing it myself. I have stained many items, so I'm well practiced, lol

I friggin love cigars

Last edited by smbauerllc; 03-13-2023 at 06:30 AM.
Old 03-13-2023, 12:34 PM   #7
Smok'em1313

Looks very nice!

Just make sure the solvents have completely volatized before installing.

Temp control is needed in your area?
Old 03-13-2023, 12:48 PM   #8
smbauerllc
Friggin Tobacco Lover!
Herf Meister

Yeah, the manufacturer actually recommends wiping down the inside of the unit empty and letting it run for a day to eliminate any residual smell.

My room fluctuates from 65 to 75 depending on the season because theres a huge vent for facility heating and cooling right outside my door. Not a big deal, but I'd prefer to keep my smokes at 65deg/65%rh constantly. Plus one unit eliminates all the tupperdors completely covering my desk. Would be nice to have a clear desk for things, plus I can hold a ton of singles in it for my daily smokes.

I friggin love cigars
Old 03-13-2023, 03:58 PM   #9
Duffer
Administrator
Charter Member

Awesome choice my friend..they way I’m buying cigars that one for sure will be next for me

Old 03-15-2023, 07:05 AM   #10
Smok'em1313

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbauerllc View Post
Yeah, the manufacturer actually recommends wiping down the inside of the unit empty and letting it run for a day to eliminate any residual smell.

My room fluctuates from 65 to 75 depending on the season because theres a huge vent for facility heating and cooling right outside my door. Not a big deal, but I'd prefer to keep my smokes at 65deg/65%rh constantly. Plus one unit eliminates all the tupperdors completely covering my desk. Would be nice to have a clear desk for things, plus I can hold a ton of singles in it for my daily smokes.

I friggin love cigars
I was actually referring to the shelves you will stain. Best of luck!