Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > The Sports Bar

The Sports Bar A place for cigar smokin' sports fans to discuss the latest.

Old 05-12-2003, 03:46 PM   #1
Guv
Internationally Soccer Challenged
Herf God

FLYERS: Cechmanek must be Czech for "CRY BABY"

Roman Cechmanek will not return as Philadelphia Flyer next year mostly because he believes the fans "hate" him. Hey Roman, just stop the puck and shut the F*ck up! You big F*cking baby

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...yers_cechmanek

Flyers GM: Cechmanek Likely Won't Return

Flyers goaltender Roman Cechmanek probably will not return to the team following a disappointing finish in the playoffs.
"I think it'll be very difficult to bring Roman back," general manager Bob Clarke said Monday. "I don't think he wants to come back. I think he feels it's not a good place for him."
Cechmanek signed a three-year contract extension worth $3 million a season in January 2002. Clarke said he'll try to trade the 32-year-old player.
Cechmanek already has returned to his native Czech Republic for the summer, and Clarke isn't sure if the goalie still wants to play in the NHL.
Clarke said the Flyers will pursue a new goaltender through a trade or free agency. Clarke expects backup Robert Esche (news) to be a starter in the league, but isn't certain the 25-year-old goalie is ready.
Cechmanek was 33-15-10 with a 1.83 goals-against average in the regular season, helping the Flyers finish just one point behind first-place New Jersey in the Atlantic Division.
But Cechmanek played poorly in the final two games of Philadelphia's second-round series against Ottawa, allowing nine goals on 46 shots.
He has a 1.96 lifetime goals-against average in three seasons, lowest among goaltenders with at least 150 regular-season games since 1943-44.
"It's an interesting situation with Roman," Clarke said. "He's runner-up for the Vezina (Trophy) one year, he's tied for the lowest goals-against in the league and his save percentage is always good, but his playoffs have been inconsistent.
"He shuts a team out one night, but when you get down to the nitty gritty and you let a soft goal in, it takes a lot out of your team emotionally."
Cechmanek, whose unconventional style sometimes left him vulnerable to rebounds, has been erratic since becoming the Flyers' starter in 2001.
In the 2003 playoffs, he won his first playoff series in three tries by shutting down Toronto, giving up only four goals in the last three games. In the Ottawa series, Cechmanek had two shutouts before the Flyers fell apart in the last two games, losing 5-2 and 5-1.
Fans booed Cechmanek after Mike Fisher's long slap shot slipped between his legs for a short-handed goal that gave the Senators a 2-0 lead in Game 6.
"I hear what people say. They hate me," Cechmanek said after the game. "I don't know why they hate me, hate our team. We do what we know."
Old 05-12-2003, 04:13 PM   #2
jefslat
CW WarCraft God
CW Special Correspondent
Editor at Large
Predominant CW Ambassador
Herf God

El perro, el perro, es mi corazon.
El gato, el gato, el gato no es bueno.
El Jefe es cantante,
El Jefe es muy famoso
El Jefe es el hombre con el queso del diablo.

El perro, el perro, nunca sin raison
El gato, el gato, el gato es obseno
El Jefe es caliente, El Jefe es carinoso
El Jefe le da besos mejor que su esposo

What Would TOJE Do?
jefslat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 07:18 PM   #3
Bitingsam

There goes Clarkie, finding another scapegoat. First it was Lindros, then barber last year. The Flyers got their asses kicked game 2 yet won 2-0 because Check was outstanding. That was a pivotal game. Down 2-0 is a big diff than 1-1. And he won the Toronto series.

The Flyers have alot more more problems than the goalie. But Bobby found yet another scapegoat to take the pressure of himself and save his job. Clarkie should be on Survivor because he sure knows how to play the game of deceit, backstabbing and outwitting.
Old 05-12-2003, 07:49 PM   #4
Guv
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitingsam
There goes Clarkie, finding another scapegoat.
Again I don't care if Clarke stays or goes but how can you blame Clarke for Cechmanek's crying about the fans not liking him?
I saw Cechmanek's interview and again here is his quote: "I hear what people say. They hate me. I don't know why they hate me, hate our team..."

Did Cechmanek play well in the playoffs? No, he was inconsistent at best. He made some outstanding saves but he let up several soft goals. His save percentage was one of the worse of all the goalies that made through to the second round.
Don't forget last year it was Cechmanek that blamed his teammates for the loss to Ottawa. This year he should have just kept his mouth shut and took his share of the deserved heat. Instead he decides to blame the fans for his inconsistent play and tells the fans to "hate our team, not me". Nobody hates him, they booed him for the several soft goals and rightfully question whether he is a top notch playoff goaltender.
Old 05-12-2003, 08:31 PM   #5
Bitingsam

they scored one goal for him last night. deadbeat dads give more support.
Old 05-13-2003, 07:23 AM   #6
Coach
Herf Meister

i agree that Roman sucked in the playoffs but this rant is beautiful. i still think that the flers have to dump Clarke. he has done everything to implode this team and still cant come up with the right winning combination.
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 07:25 AM   #7
Bitingsam

Guv, i love the flyers...but clarke is horrible, as a GM and as a person.

I want my flyers back. fire clarke!
Old 05-13-2003, 10:10 AM   #8
Bitingsam

Check's agent is quoted in the Daily News today that his client NEVER said to ANYONE he doesnt want to play in Philly.

Clarkie...asshole. Found another scapegoat.
Old 05-13-2003, 02:23 PM   #9
Guv
Herf God

The same paper that reports that Cechmanek never said he didn't want to play in Philly next year also has an article stating that Hitchcock is in charge now.
"Bob Clarke has lost some power. The Flyers are Ken Hitchcock's team now."
http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/5847851.htm
Old 05-13-2003, 03:01 PM   #10
Bitingsam

Until Clarke is fired, he has power...hopefully this is the beginning of a shift of power that will ultimately get clarke, in the words of harry the k, outta here.