Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-03-2015, 04:49 PM   #1
gui_tarzan
Herf God

Mystery cigar review

Along with the cigars Jeff sent me from the IPCPR batch, there is one that has no band and I have no idea what it might be. So here goes.

This has a delicious, dark pre-light aroma that made my mouth water. The deep brown wrapper is leathery and has only a few small veins. It's firm but not hard and the draw is perfect.

After trimming the ends, the first draw is filled with a voluptuous dark chocolate flavor that reminds me of an 80% bar from Germany that I tried a few years ago. There is no bite, but a rather chewy taste that lingers for quite a while. To say it has a long finish would be an understatement, but it's not unpleasant at all - quite the opposite. It's sort of like taking a piece of that dark German chocolate and letting it sit on your tongue until it dissolves - pure heaven!

It doesn't take long for the flavor to intensify, still full of that delicious dark chocolate and heavy leather notes. About halfway through it is developing a slightly more complex flavor that settles in with leather, wood and a heavy stout.

There is little smoke until you draw, then the smoke that's exhaled is as rich and full as you would expect. The ash is flaky and doesn't hold well but that's the worst part about this one, it's truly good and although it is only about a 20 minute experience, it's worth it. There is a slight nicotine kick, though hardly worth mentioning because it fades quickly. There is just a little spice in my nose, enough for me to appreciate the thought that went into this little gem.

Around 2/3 of the way in the flavor is mellowing a little, just enough in my opinion to keep your attention without being overpowering and the tobacco and leather flavors are still mostly present. The chocolate taste has dissipated leaving the meaty leather and tobacco flavors that leave me wanting more.

At the nub there is a stronger nic hit, one that I leads me to recommend having a full stomach so you don't get kicked in the teeth. Nubbed? Oh yes. With no buildup of tar at the head you will get your money's worth taking this one down until you burn your fingers. It's that good!

Pair this with a dark roast or other full-bodied drink of your choice and you have a great combination!

The four most dangerous words in the US government: "and for other purposes"

I am an AJ Fernandez ho...
gui_tarzan is offline   Reply With Quote