Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-27-2012, 06:41 AM   #1
Smokestack Jack
Herf God

I can't believe you just did that!!!

Saturday night some of our neighbors got together for a bocci ball game in the commons area by the docks. After that, we retreated to a neighbor's house for some drinks and conversation. Several of us enjoy sitting by the stone fireplace under the roof of the outdoor kitchen where we could smoke cigars. One of the guys, Tom, brought the cigars. Graciously, I accepted one of his cigars, cut and lit it. Tom buys his cigars from some obscure place east of KC. Anyway, the cigar, a maduro toro w/o a band was decent. As I was sitting there lighting the cigar, I looked over to see Tom peeling off the wrapper! I thought to myself, wtf is he doing? Now, these guys are "part time cigar smokers" and really don't know much about cigars at all. But, seeing someone peel off the wrapper and then light up the cigar was beyond belief for me. I asked him why he did that and he said because the the end of the cigar was unravelling! One of the other guys said, "you shouldn't take off the outside, you should have just licked it so it would stay together." And still, one of the others said, "yeah, just slobber on it!" At this point, I had enough. I sat down on the coffee table in front of them and proceeded to explain the proper way to treat a cigar. I explained the different parts of a cigar,(wrapper, binder, and filler), how a cigar is constructed, what percent of the wrapper gives a cigar it's flavor, etc. It was pretty much cigar lesson 101!! I had a captive audience for about an hour. Hell, one of the guys didn't even know that a cigar had a head and a foot!! All in all, it was an educational and entertaining evening. I hope these guys learned something and hope they will smoke better cigars in the future!!