Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Old 01-26-2011, 04:55 PM   #1
gui_tarzan
Herf God

Why does

Ground coffee smells very different than it tastes. When I grind beans it smells incredible. Almost orgasmic. When I brew it it tastes good, but that powerful aroma isn't there. Why?

The four most dangerous words in the US government: "and for other purposes"

I am an AJ Fernandez ho...
gui_tarzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:03 PM   #2
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

Chemistry. Not all of the aromatic organic compounds that you smell when you're inhaling the aromas of the ground coffee make it into the brewed coffee, and others are altered by reacting with the hot water, or with each other and with other compounds in the ground in the presence of the hot water. Brewing is both an extracting process and a reacting process...and the reactions continue after brewing. You've experienced flavors changing while the cup cools, right? There ya are.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That which does not kill me....has made a grave tactical error.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 05:44 AM   #3
mshade
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gui_tarzan View Post
Ground coffee smells very different than it tastes. When I grind beans it smells incredible. Almost orgasmic. When I brew it it tastes good, but that powerful aroma isn't there. Why?
For some coffees I get as much pleasure, if not more, from the smell of the ground coffee as I do from the brewed cup. Almost to the point of going with a superfine grind, and chopping up a few lines.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:13 AM   #4
ronin
The Duke
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshade View Post
For some coffees I get as much pleasure, if not more, from the smell of the ground coffee as I do from the brewed cup. Almost to the point of going with a superfine grind, and chopping up a few lines.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:06 AM   #5
gui_tarzan
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dawg View Post
Chemistry. Not all of the aromatic organic compounds that you smell when you're inhaling the aromas of the ground coffee make it into the brewed coffee, and others are altered by reacting with the hot water, or with each other and with other compounds in the ground in the presence of the hot water. Brewing is both an extracting process and a reacting process...and the reactions continue after brewing. You've experienced flavors changing while the cup cools, right? There ya are.
Yes I have and I much prefer a warm cup to a hot one.

The four most dangerous words in the US government: "and for other purposes"

I am an AJ Fernandez ho...
gui_tarzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:17 AM   #6
beevod
Herf God

With one exception, warm almost always yields more flavor and satisfaction than hot.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:43 PM   #7
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

I believe that part of is is also that the aromas released in grinding are only going to be the very most volatile compounds that will vaporize at room temps. It will only be there for a few minutes. You toss boiling water over the ground coffee, and suddenly, the temperature of the beans goes into the 200 degree range, and EVERYTHING is forced out, dissolved, vaporized, and carried out with the steam. What you get from the fresh ground beans is only a tiny fraction of the entire spectrum of chemicals.

Think about all of the other volatile chemicals that are burned off and vaporized at the high temps of roasting. You'd never get the smell of the final cup out of the blast of crap that comes boiling out of a roaster, would you?
Briandg is offline   Reply With Quote