Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-31-2003, 06:42 AM   #1
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

So you've just been bombed - what do you do now?

With all the new folks piling in, I thought I'd offer up a few thoughts on the subject of cigar bombs. As you'll quickly see, cigar bombings are astonishingly frequent occurrences on CW, which is one of the things that makes this place so special. Following are some dos and don'ts to ponder when your turn for a CW whackin' rolls around. Note that all are labeled #1 - this is not by accident.

1) DO acknowledge receipt of the bomb. Use the Trading Post for public acknowledgement, PM for private thanks.

1) DO show your appreciation. Even if you got something you don't particularly care for, the person who sent it to you thought enough of you to send it. It really is the thought that counts.

1) DO post a trader comment for the person who bombed you.

1) DO respect any wishes expressed by the person who bombed you. You may be asked to let the bomb go unacknowledged, or to Pay it Forward in lieu of reciprocating. Follow these wishes!

1) DO Pay it Forward. This simple concept is fundamental to the community that is CW.

1) DON'T inventory the cigars you received in your public acknowledgement thereof. It just might be that the bomber tossed out several packages, customized for the individual recipients. We wouldn't want to create a "But HE got a better bomb than I did!" mentality, would we? Individual or unique items may be a different matter, but a detailed list of the cigars you got is kind of tacky.

1) DON'T think that you have to limit your own bombs to cigars. Many creative people have included many interesting things in bombs around here: coffee and booze are way up there, but also specialty food items, sports memorabilia, clothing, and a host of other things all find appreciative recipients.

1) DO have fun with the concept. Cigar smoking should be relaxing. Nothing about any of this should stress you out. If it does, you're doing something wrong.

Those are the key things from this Dawg's point of view. If I've omitted anything important (which is highly probable), I hope folks will jump in and add to this thread.

MD

Edited 11/13/03 to add excellent comments from upstanding CW brothers. This is exactly the kind of thing I had hoped people would jump in with. THANKS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moob
I would only add that you do not need to go out and buy expensive cigars to pay someone back. Just give what you can give and pay it forward to the next brother (or sister).
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlamFire
One thing I would add is this, don't feel you have to bomb anyone. Gifting is not for everyone, you may be a saint in real life but not want to send cigars to a complete stranger over the net, don't feel bad about it. Enjoy CW for everything you feel comfortable with, what ever that may be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fvfanmc
Something that I would like to add: DO NOT feel obligated to reciprocate the bomb. The bomb is sent becuase he wants to surprise and does not expect anything in return.

If you do return the bomb, send what you can and do not try and out do the sender.

Also, if FOG runs some sort of Newbie contest, remember, it was contest and there is no need to recepricate the gift. The FOG probably had so many cigars that he ran the contest to reduce his/her stash.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatshotbud
This is not a do and don't exactly but; you may never be on the receiving end of a bombing if you do not fill out your profile with the ever important snailer. The absence of an address sure makes it difficult for a bomb to find the intended receiver

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That which does not kill me....has made a grave tactical error.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote