Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Old 07-10-2010, 05:48 AM   #1
samiam2
Club Member

No Water

My cigar smoking has evolved into a dependance of having something to drink when I smoke. I don't recall this need when I first started smoking. And water is not what gets it done. I can't accompany a cigar with water. It makes my throat so dry and doesn't get rid of the nicotine hint in the back of my throat. Any other libation works to mask the after taste of puffing the cigar except water... Have cigars changed the last few years or is it the large ring of cigars doing this to me? I've started smoking more lanceros lately and my amount of devulgence of drink has gone down..I'm now down to only one glass of KoolAid per cigar...
Old 07-10-2010, 08:34 AM   #2
Smoker06
Herf God

I think cigars, or at least the marques we tend to smoke, have gotten stronger over the past five or six years; stronger in the amount of nicotine which I think is somewhat related to the robustness of flavor. I mean, the tobacco leaves used to produce a more robust bodied cigar have more nicotine in them.

Maybe this is what is causing your need for koolaid.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:24 AM   #3
gui_tarzan
Herf God

Are they stronger? I haven't heard that about today's cigars. If they're not "cooking" them long enough to burn out the nicotine, I would be disappointed. I know that's not the reason for fermenting, I'm just wondering. I've only been enjoying them for almost six years so it's hard for me to judge I guess.

The four most dangerous words in the US government: "and for other purposes"

I am an AJ Fernandez ho...
gui_tarzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 01:58 PM   #4
big ben
Club Member

I have always had to drink something while smoking a cigar. My favorite is coffee but I also like iced tea or Coke. Water doesn't do it for me either. I have to spit too much when I use water.

"I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play." Jack Lambert.
big ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 04:16 PM   #5
bsslack
Herf Meister

I'm coming from the opposite side of this.

I used to could drink, without a cigar.
But, now if I am drinking something I want a Cigar!

I remember before when I could just drink, drinks, but now everything "Tastes Funny" without a stick.

I'm wondering, could it be Just Me?

Cheers! oh, crap now I need a cigar.......

slack

Do not Hold Your Heart's True Words, until they can only fall upon the saddened ears and broken hearts, already filled with the loudness of grief. -unk

...Quick to Judgement...Quick to Anger and Slow To Understand... -Rush (it was true then and it's still applies today.)

Remember EVERY American Soldier Past and Present.-You -Me -Everybody
bsslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 04:21 PM   #6
Mowee
Contributing Editor
Club Member

I dunno...personally I use water.
Old 07-11-2010, 03:53 PM   #7
Smoker06
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by gui_tarzan View Post
Are they stronger? I haven't heard that about today's cigars. If they're not "cooking" them long enough to burn out the nicotine, I would be disappointed. I know that's not the reason for fermenting, I'm just wondering. I've only been enjoying them for almost six years so it's hard for me to judge I guess.
Well, guys, any thoughts? Are today's cigars stronger?
Old 07-11-2010, 04:49 PM   #8
bsslack
Herf Meister

Frank,

I think that there are some that are and some that are not. Before I get the wishy washy label, humor me.

The industry has become much more responsive to the market's wishes. That has given Us entire lines that have more umph. Like the LFD Ligero, Oliva Serie V, DE's Liga Privada line, CAO's LX2 and many other's.

That same responsiveness also has led to more Medium to Mild lines as well.

Why? Because there are many current smokers whom prefer that power level. I, as a smoker prefer a Full Bodied experience 80% of the time. For the other 20% I want a less in your face experience. Added to that there are plenty of smokers whom are the exact opposite of me and prefer predominately Mild Cigars. That said, I think that those customers still want a quality Flavor variety that falls in that range. The Devils Weed comes immediately to mind of newer Mild cigars. So, Yes there are Plenty of Cigars that offer a more Potent experience. But the wonderful aspect of a more responsive industry is a Greater Variety in Hand Rolled Cigars than ever before, at All levels.

So, I do not think that All Cigars are more potent. There are many quality Mild Profile smokes out there. Lest We forget, the number one selling Domestic Brand is indeed a Brand Famous for it's Mild to Medium Cigars.

So, Viva La Difference`

Cheers!

slack

Do not Hold Your Heart's True Words, until they can only fall upon the saddened ears and broken hearts, already filled with the loudness of grief. -unk

...Quick to Judgement...Quick to Anger and Slow To Understand... -Rush (it was true then and it's still applies today.)

Remember EVERY American Soldier Past and Present.-You -Me -Everybody
bsslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 06:37 PM   #9
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker06 View Post
Well, guys, any thoughts? Are today's cigars stronger?
Hard to say. I've always preferred stronger cigars, so I've always actively avoided stuff that was advertised or reviewed as "mild." Although...it is easier to find strong cigars than it used to be, so maybe it is a trend.

I'll say this: cigars today are a hell of a lot better than they were 10 years ago, or at least the non-Cubans are. MUCH more quality, across a MUCH wider cross section of manufacturers. That's a very good thing, although my melted credit cards may have another opinion.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That which does not kill me....has made a grave tactical error.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 06:50 PM   #10
gumby
Contributing Editor
MOM November 2012 Emeritus
Honorary MOM November 2021
Herf God

I think they are stronger in the sense that they are being rushed to market without proper aging. But like boxpressed, maduro wrappers, and so many fads before strong cigars seem to be the current trend. Look at Opus an as example. Who in their right mind would enjoy that one-dimensional brute force stick straight from the store w/o aging it first?

Thomas Jefferson
gumby is offline   Reply With Quote