Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Old 12-01-2005, 03:08 AM   #1
El Laguito

Bourbon?

I was reading somewhere else and came across something that made me stop and think.

Someone was soliciting peoples' experineces between Booker's & George T. Stagg. It's interesting because I've always sort of viewed Booker's as over-priced whereas G.T. Stagg I've felt was reasonably priced for what it is.

Anyway the nature of the other discussion was how the two price in various regions. Are there actually regions in the US (or anywhere) where Booker's is priced signifcantly lower than Stagg?

Where I am, Stagg holds a slight advantage in shelf price.
El Laguito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 04:40 AM   #2
parshooter
Herf God

What are the prices where you live? I don't know what Booker's goes for, but Stagg is generally around $45. I think Booker's should be lower priced than Stagg because it is bottled and available year round, where as Stagg is bottled only once (except for 2005) a year.

#69 of the JLOH
parshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 04:43 AM   #3
sevenmag
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

I can't speak for regions, but I'll tell you this. Booker's is supposed to retail higher than Stagg. MSRP on Stagg is supposed to be lower than Booker's but I've never seen nor heard of it actually being priced lower on the shelves.

I'd gladly pay more for Stagg than Booker's. It is after all, higher proof, maybe twice as old and tates better. I really like Booker's, but Stagg is in another league IMO.
sevenmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 06:58 AM   #4
madal
Herf Meister

I will have to investigate. Running a bit low, and going to NH this weekend
Old 12-01-2005, 07:01 AM   #5
Curmudgeon
Club Member

Stagg and Booker's are both around $45, here in California, though I've seen Booker's sell for $40, from time-to-time. Stagg's a much better value, in my mind. It tastes much better and it's about twice as old, which means that---between evaporative losses and storage costs---it is much more costly to produce.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:12 AM   #6
El Laguito

Out this way if you can find it on the shelf I've seen the current release running $46-$49.99, although I've seen it advertised as well from a reputable retailer that usually is considered a discount outlet advertising it for $59.99.

Curmudgeon: (according to your profile you're in N. California - right?), curious where you've found Booker's as low as $40? Maybe not discussable in open but I don't recall seeing Booker's under $45.

In previous times when Stagg was (2003) $37.99 -$41.99 and (2004 + 05 Spring) $41.99- $44.99 Booker's was always higher retail and from what I understand lists higher as far as what merchants are charged by the State distributors in Califonia.

I do agree with the sentiments that Stagg's limited availability, higher proof and age adds to it's lure over Booker's, sadly it also allows price tinkering without excessive worry of consumer backlash.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:23 AM   #7
Curmudgeon
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Laguito
Curmudgeon: (according to your profile you're in N. California - right?), curious where you've found Booker's as low as $40? Maybe not discussable in open but I don't recall seeing Booker's under $45.
I have no problem discussing it in the open; I've seen it at Trader Joe's for $39.99. I haven't seen it there in the last couple months, but I've seen it several times over the last few years.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:34 AM   #8
El Laguito

Ahh TJ's, that would adequately explain the price

Unfortunately I've never seen Booker's shelved at either of the stores I frequent, didn't realize they carried it at all. I sure miss the Rare Breed @$24 though!
Old 12-01-2005, 08:02 AM   #9
Curmudgeon
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Laguito
I sure miss the Rare Breed @$24 though!
That makes two of us . . . well, I can't really say I'm missing it, since I still have a couple bottles I picked up when TJ's had it.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:59 PM   #10
Oregone
Herf Meister

We don't do comparison shopping in Oregon -- because we don't get Stagg at all.

I did have a bottle a friend purchased for me and I'm definitely in the minority around here; I'm just not that big a fan. It's too high a proof for me to drink straight, and once it's watered down enough so that it's in the same general proof range as other bourbons I like, it just isn't that special. Not that it's bad, mind you, but there are a lot of other bourbons I like as much or more that don't cost anywhere near as much.

YMMV, of course.
Oregone is offline   Reply With Quote