Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-28-2002, 08:43 AM   #1
Max Huff

I was moved to purchase a sampler of these as Billy from "Billy and Rueben's" had made a fine gesture to one of our fellow CW'ers in offering bands and cello's for announcing a new arrival. I asked for this sampler to be all maduro and if the smokes needed aging. I received two emails confirming they would be maduro and ready to smoke.

The smokes were as follows:
One each.
Double Corona Reg.
Double Corona Cognac
Curly Top Cognac
Robusto Reg.
Torpedo Especial
Rothschild Reg.
Cuban Round Cognac
Packaged nicely in cello and padded cardboard box. All the smokes seem well filled and well made save for the Curly Top which is very light for maduro and seems a bit underfilled, no large veins and nice caps. I did not notice any odor of cognac unless I directly sniff the foot of those marked as such, and no carry-over to the regulars.

I decided to try the Rothschild as time was short. Prelight was a bit unusual, kind of bitter with a lot of tobacco smell, This was also evident in the first light but quickly faded into what I can only describe as a bittersweet taste which reminded me of the Cohiba Sig.
About 1/3 into the stick the flavor changed to sweet coffee and leather. I found it much to my liking, smoke volume being good and the draw a bit tight but not unlike that of most "old school" ISOM's.
I had to touch up the burn at the halfway point as it was getting uneven but not badly so, the ash hung on well past 1.5" and was light grey and ringed and mid-solid when dropped, matching the contour of the rolling.
From halfway until I nubbed it the flavor changed to a light licorice and spice and I found a few hints of anise and maybe molasses, always sweet and tasty.
It did get a bit hot but that may be my style of smoking (fast) and the fact that I was in a 40 degree unheated porch which I am relagated to as we don't smoke in the house.

Overall a nice experiance and a good value. I am not into boutique cigars but recently have come into several such as the FP Noir and so far have found them all to be right up there with the big guys.
I see that this company is now a CW advertiser and IMHO that is a good thing. I for one will be ordering again as soon as I find which ones I like better and will try the flavored ones soon. Give them a try, no disapointments here.

Rating: 4.3 out of 5

Michael Creagan .

http://www.eclecticcollectionsltd.com
Max Huff is offline   Reply With Quote