Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Old 04-16-2015, 03:49 PM   #21
flipflop
Contributing Editor
CW Butt Whisperer
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtrx View Post
had a cocktail at my favorite restaurant last night that was based on a bergmot infused tea with a lemon syrup in it... it was quite refreshing.
Oh Lord God of the universe. Turn in your man card. RIGHT NOW!
-- Ghengis Khan
flipflop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 06:32 PM   #22
jefslat
CW WarCraft God
CW Special Correspondent
Editor at Large
Predominant CW Ambassador
Herf God

OK, chiming in here, as one who likes beers with names like "Hop Stoopid."

Back before the craft beer thing, I drank a lot of Fullers ESB (Extra Special Bitter). Very hoopy. I loved it. Now I tend towards the "double" IPAs like Stone Ruination. I also enjoy some of the so-called Imperial IPAs (no such thing really, but a mixture of brewing styles) and the Black IPAs, like Kharback's Hopadillo.

I think the thing I like most about the hoppier IPAs is they have more room for the more subtle citrusy flavors that come out in the aroma but can get lost in the hops if you are not accustomed to the bitterness.

And yes, drink what you like. Unless you like Bud. Then drink water. It has more flavor.

El perro, el perro, es mi corazon.
El gato, el gato, el gato no es bueno.
El Jefe es cantante,
El Jefe es muy famoso
El Jefe es el hombre con el queso del diablo.

El perro, el perro, nunca sin raison
El gato, el gato, el gato es obseno
El Jefe es caliente, El Jefe es carinoso
El Jefe le da besos mejor que su esposo

What Would TOJE Do? Þ £
jefslat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 11:30 AM   #23
sevenmag
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefslat View Post
OK, chiming in here, as one who likes beers with names like "Hop Stoopid."

Back before the craft beer thing, I drank a lot of Fullers ESB (Extra Special Bitter). Very hoopy. I loved it. Now I tend towards the "double" IPAs like Stone Ruination. I also enjoy some of the so-called Imperial IPAs (no such thing really, but a mixture of brewing styles) and the Black IPAs, like Kharback's Hopadillo.

I think the thing I like most about the hoppier IPAs is they have more room for the more subtle citrusy flavors that come out in the aroma but can get lost in the hops if you are not accustomed to the bitterness.

And yes, drink what you like. Unless you like Bud. Then drink water. It has more flavor.
I have to agree with you Jeff. Most of the IPA's i enjoy most are doubles, but I can't drink many of them. I find them far more flavorful overall. Not just hoppy. There's room for some malt on the finish and like you said, the citrusy flavors of some of the different hops.

A larger portion of the standard IPA's are quite frankly, one dimensional and some are just plain bitter and nothing else.
sevenmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 10:06 PM   #24
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefslat View Post

Since you are also saving over a dollar a bottle by drinking water, you can also afford to drink better bourbon.

Yes, drink what you like. There are people who drink saurkraut juice, and I'm gonna gag every time I see it in the stores, but everyone has a right to drink it, if it doesn't smell up my house.

The other day I went to a new store, and found a new beer. Summit porter? is that it? I realized a few weeks ago that porter is a whole lot better for me than stout. don't know why, but it seems that porter is more roasty and less hoppy. sort of like the german beers I used to get. So, cutting down hops on brown stuff is appealing to me, but I've been drinking hoppier beers in the light colored lagers. I just don't think I'm ever going to be able to handle the shock of some of the things I've had before. But, amazingly enough, I eat brussels sprouts now.
Briandg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 10:11 PM   #25
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

just last night, now that I remember it, I had a dry hopped saison. Damned nice beer, with the floral/citrus notes, less of the cedarwood notes. I guess dry hopping, which iirc means adding the hops to the wort instead of boiling them in the mash, makes the extraction of the more delicate flavors more prominent.

Gotta have hops. gotta love them. Beer without them just doesn't appeal. Too much malt without a strong roast or hop component makes me wanna yark. I like balance. Right now, I'm also really into beer. I can go without for weeks to months, not really being that enthused, but I'm craving it right now.
Briandg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:19 AM   #26
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briandg View Post
But, amazingly enough, I eat brussels sprouts now.
Sure-fire recipe:

Rinse and boil whole brussel sprouts in a little salted water (I place about ½-inch of salted water in the bottom of a covered saucepan and toss the sprouts in the water before bringing it to the boil) until they're semi-tender, then rinse them thoroughly under ice-cold water to arrest the cooking process. Set them on paper towel to dry.

Cut the very bottoms off and then cut the brussel sprouts in half (length-wise).

Spread a ½-and-½ mixture of extra virgin olive oil and a good balsamic vinegar over the entire surface of a baking sheet.

Crack ground sea salt (I like Himalayan) and ground pepper (I like the 5-berry sort) over the surface of the baking sheet.

Place the brussel sprout halves cut-side down on the baking sheet.

Roast in a 450ºF oven for approximately 5 to 10 minutes (until the upper leaves begin to 'toast' (darken) a bit.

Serve.