Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-28-2002, 07:49 AM   #1
jchamb
Club Member

Tom Bateman sent me a nice box of smokes that were new to me, and this one caught my eye. As I recall, these were provided as a sampler packet, and the cigars won't be released until later this year. I liked the Bolivar Fuerte Cuban Coronas which I got last year, and still have a few left - so I was looking forward to trying this new maduro offering.
The cigar was about 5 1/2 x 50 ring (somewhere between a robusto and a toro), and I was wondering if the larger ring sizes in the BFs were as flavorful as the corona size (yes).
They have a very nice dark oily wrapper, with a rock hard construction, but a very easy draw. The burn was straight throughout with a pretty dark gray ash and a ton of smoke.
This cigar started with a TON of spice and flavor, and reminded me of the Ult Cab 50s at first (of which I've smoked about 3 boxes). The extreme spice hit lasted about an inch, and then the cigar settled down to produce a medium bodied, flavorful smoke. As it burned along I noticed two things - the wrapper became very dark, shiny, and oily (Love those Villazon maduros - nobody does it better!), and the cigar gained strength as it burned.
The last 1 1/5 inch was a heavy bodied, strong smoke which had that typical Villazon flavor profile. It had no hints of cocoa or sweetness that I could tell - just a lot of pure ligero tobacco flavor.
I think age will help these settle down a bit, although I didn't really notice any harsh notes (like last year's first offerings of the BF's had).
All in all, a pretty good, strong, heady cigar. If you like Villazon cigars (especially maduro), you'll like these. I don't know if I'd buy a box of these or not, as I have so many other favorites that I prefer more (like the Ults, Cabs and ERDMs), but it is a very tasty, full bodied cigar that's worth a try.