Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-09-2003, 08:00 PM   #1
Skyler1534

Romeo y Julieta Reserve Maduro Toro

After reading many reviews and thinking, "I could do that." I finally decided to take the time to write one. As a natural writer, it comes as second-nature and since I haven't really worked on any writing projects for quite a while now, I figured this would let me use some skills I left behind. Let me know what you all think!

-Skyler

Living Up to the Look

For my first formal review, I am very pleased that I chose a RyJ Reserve Maduro from my humidor. From the first look at the cigar shop, this cigar would draw the attention of any cigar smoker. Its beautifully designed black band with silver lettering and smooth maduro wrapper just taunts you to try it.

After first trying the Belicoso when the brand originally emerged, I was satisfied, but did not take note of all of its attributes. This time, with my trusty legal pad by my side and pen in hand, I marked each note of change.

From the moment I removed the cellophane, I was impressed. The appearance is beautiful. Some slight external flaws could be noted, but overall, it was free of overwhelming bulges or veins. I could tell this was a well-constructed cigar before it was lit.

After using my handy cigar punch, I toasted the foot over my Colibri torch and it lit like a match. The first thing I took note of upon putting the cigar to my lips was the prevalent maduro flavor. After first puff, I judged this as a medium-bodied cigar with a respectable amount of smoke produced. The original flavor smacked of sweet chocolate. An earthy flavor and a subtle spice could also be noted under the surface. A nice grey-white ash was produced and stayed well for about an inch and a half.

After the first third of this six-inch cigar, the flavor shifted. It became spicier and less sweet. The burn was nice, although it did need to be corrected after the first ash. As I reached down to the halfway mark, an earthy-spicy combination emerged. The flavors combined very nicely.

With one-third left, the flavor again shifted and dropped down into a pleasant earthy tone with hints of chocolate. After second ash, it performed well and burned evenly. Good down to the last puff, it capped off with a smooth, earthy finish. This left me with a pleasant, non-overbearing aftertaste.

I would say this cigar would be enjoyable to smokers of all seasons, from the beginners to those who have smoked more cigars than they can count. One problem I noted was a slightly tight draw. This may be correctable by clipping it rather than using a punch. In addition, it was a little too sweet to start out with, but it settled itself nicely.

Would I recommend this to my customers?

Definitely. This cigar is good for all occasions and can be enjoyed whether you are looking for the subtle flavor changes or just smoking it while busy with other things. It would make a great addition to an Introduction to Maduros Sampler and would fit nicely with most mix-and-match selections. With a suggested retail of $6.00 and a TCS price ranging from $5.00-5.50, it is also well worth the price.

Overall Grade- B+