Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Smokin Tunes

Smokin Tunes A place for musicians and music lovers (that also smoke cigars!) to discuss their passion.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-08-2011, 05:52 AM   #1
DCarp
Contributing Editor
Club Member

Guitar lessons - when to start?

Guys, my 2 year old is showing a very healthy interest in music. She's really into it, to the point that when she gets up or when we get home from being somewhere, she walks straight over to my XM radio and asks for "more". And she's no slouch in the music department -- Top 40 doesn't cut it, she wants jazz, the blues and rock.

My wife and I obviously want to encourage her. The other day my wife and daughter were in an antique store and our daughter saw an old 'First Act' guitar and she went nuts for it. The wife didn't get it, but instantly regretted it, so we went back this weekend and it was still there. Again, the kiddo went nuts for it, which effectively put the brakes on the rest of our trip to the antique store. When we got home, we shortened the strap (she's 2) and she strummed the crap outta that thing for an hour until we had to pry it out of her hands for dinner (she wasn't happy ).

So, I figure 2 is too young to start lessons of any type, but what do you think would be a good age to start? She's obviously interested in all things music (she also has some toy pianos that she plays for hours on end).
DCarp is offline   Reply With Quote