Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-04-2009, 09:36 PM   #1
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

Vartan

Any one ever hear of these? I was sent two by another cigar writer, from other publications, and he asked me to review them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Bender (TommyBB)
The Vartan cigars were lovely to behold upon opening the package. Despite the dark, natural color of the wrapper leaf, perhaps either corojo or Habano, the texture of it was smoother than many similar ones in my experience. The short peak of the head, of this figurado was as straight and nearly perfect as any I have smoked. The draw, both prelight and during, was quite satisfactory. It was neither too loose, nor were there problems with tight draw or plugging. Despite windy conditions on Halloween night during trick-or-treating with my children, it performed fairly well in spite of some difficulty getting it lit with short matches. The second sample on Monday, November 2, 2009, lit significantly better.

While not having the most acute of palates, I was able to discern quite a few varying flashes of flavor. On the whole, there seemed to be earthy and vegetal characteristics. Sad to say, they often clashed with each other. As well, there was a slightly sweetish undertone to all this that remained throughout the experience, from clip to death. I would guess that there was, also, although I might be mistaken, some Dominican tobacco as the typically chalky mouth feel was present, but not quite prevalent. From the construction and flavor, this was a master work as the blend was definitely complex and changed throughout. I'm sorry to say that overall, the combination of flavors and sum of the parts were not to my taste, in the end. But the changing flavors and complexity prove that this was a well thought-out blend, and the construction was accomplished by some of the most skilled torcedores in the cigar business today.

With that said, I can see this cigar having a legion of adherents, who will enjoy the particular combination of flavors and will laud its impeccable construction.

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

Last edited by TommyBB; 11-05-2009 at 07:46 AM.
TommyBB is offline   Reply With Quote