Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Old 11-16-2008, 10:13 PM   #1
Danforz
Club Member

Anyone else but me disapointed in their Xtend?

Hey guys,

So I purchased a "Limited Opus" Xtend about a year ago. Now, for the ridiculous amount I paid for the thing, I'd expect it to out perform my $25 Colibri, right?

Well, the flame on the thing is tiny. No matter how high I set the gauge, it just doesn't have a powerful flame. The Colibri on the other hand (and my old Prometheus) has a huge saber like torch with a "sharp" tip and lights my cigars instantly. Needless to say, I prefer the Colibri's flame. And the thing is, my Xtend has always performed like this.

Do they just have notoriously weak flames?
Danforz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 01:03 PM   #2
James

My xtend has a pretty big flame, nothing amazing, but it is not small by any means.

Btw, What are you in a rush for? A cigar should be a relaxing break in the day. If youre lighting your cigars that quickly you are proably singeing them.
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 01:16 PM   #3
Danforz
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
My xtend has a pretty big flame, nothing amazing, but it is not small by any means.

Btw, What are you in a rush for? A cigar should be a relaxing break in the day. If youre lighting your cigars that quickly you are proably singeing them.
James,

I appreciate your response. After speaking with two others about their Dupont, I'm starting to think that the Xtend flame is just much smaller than my Colibri flame.

As for my "rush," I think the only rule of thumb regarding cigars is to enjoy them how you please. For me, the Colibri's ultra light saber flame gets the job done in a more satisfying fashion andd causes less torching of the foot. Sure, I could be extra delicate and take the extra time when lighting the cigar with the Xtend, but why when I can just use the colibri instead. But then, I'd have wasted a chunk of cash on the Xtend, and thus my disappointment.

I'm going to check in with the cigar store and have them take a look at my Xtend,just in case.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:50 PM   #4
Renaissance Man
Owner Emeritus
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danforz View Post
James,

I appreciate your response. After speaking with two others about their Dupont, I'm starting to think that the Xtend flame is just much smaller than my Colibri flame.

As for my "rush," I think the only rule of thumb regarding cigars is to enjoy them how you please. For me, the Colibri's ultra light saber flame gets the job done in a more satisfying fashion andd causes less torching of the foot. Sure, I could be extra delicate and take the extra time when lighting the cigar with the Xtend, but why when I can just use the colibri instead. But then, I'd have wasted a chunk of cash on the Xtend, and thus my disappointment.

I'm going to check in with the cigar store and have them take a look at my Xtend,just in case.
It can be adjusted but you have to remove the case..... probably best done by the store or DuPont to keep your warranty intact.....
My current rotation: Bolivars (RC, PC, BBF, CE and Corona JR), Punch Punch, El Original Claro Corona and Lancero, Davidoff Grand Cru #1, VR Famoso, Upmann #2, and R&J Churchill.
Renaissance Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 11:50 AM   #5
Harleyrider
Club Member

I have a regular X-tend, and it works great. FWIW.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:22 PM   #6
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danforz View Post
James,

Oh I didnt mean to be a dick, it might have come across that way. I just hate when the people I smoke with always rush to light their cigar. I say take your time.
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 05:16 AM   #7
Mowee
Contributing Editor
Club Member

A question...do you use the Xtend fluid to refill it? I have found that makes a difference. I have two Xtends with great flames and one is like 5 years old (whenever they first came out)/
Old 11-24-2008, 07:59 AM   #8
Cabaiguan
Club Member

Haven't had mine for that long, but I have not noticed the flame being too small. Then again, I'm used to flint lighters and by no means a torch "expert."
Cabaiguan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 02:50 PM   #9
Danforz
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowee View Post
A question...do you use the Xtend fluid to refill it? I have found that makes a difference. I have two Xtends with great flames and one is like 5 years old (whenever they first came out)/
Yes, I do. I think I'm gonna have to have the shop take a look and open the sucker up.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:03 AM   #10
LabRatGDI
Herf God

My Xtend lasted a total of 2 months.
I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. -- Benjamin Franklin
LabRatGDI is offline   Reply With Quote