Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-22-2016, 12:15 PM   #1
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

IPCPR 2015: Kuuts Nicaraguan Blend: Toro 5P

It has been a good while, now, since I last had time to smoke, much less to review the cigar I am smoking. I have a bit of time this afternoon, and this pretty cigar came out of my humidor when I stuck in my hand. Last July, when the IPCPR Trade Show was in New Orleans, I went to the Kuuts display area because it was fairly good sized, and well-appointed, but was empty, there wasn't much business going on there.

The rep. didn't seem as if he wanted much business, however this is a brand with a fairly big backer, the main Spanish tobacco company, I forget the name. I wrote about them in my Dispatches from the IPCPR, I'll link to that story later.

This particular cigar is the Nicaraguan Blend, and it presents itself with a fairly light color capa, and it's the Toro 5P. Its official dimensions are 6" x 52. Despite it being a bit of a breezy day during Holy Week in New Orleans, the cigar lit on one match, and not a good cigar match, either, but a cheap, store-brand match. It lit just fine, and I had to use a second match to touch the little bit that I didn't get the first time.

Here at the outset, it's already burning quite even and straight, as well as having a very thin char line. It seems well-constructed as we get together for our shared time. The flavor is a bit leathery, and not overpowering, if even subtle. This isn't what we would typically expect from a Nicaraguan.

Unfortunately, their website is down, and my literature is inside, so I will do some internet searching so I can find the particulars on the tobacco leaves which comprise the cigar.

Edit 1.
It has taken a bit of time, but I found some information about the cigar, it's binder and filler are, indeed, Nicaraguan tobacco. Their factory is, however, Comapñia Hondureño de Tabacos in Danlí, Honduras. The capa is Ecuadoran Habano, and as a result is light-colored.

The first bit of ash has fallen, and the burn is affected by it, and I'm having to draw quite a bit to keep it going, just now. This is somewhat disappointing....aaaaaaaaaaaaand it's out, not even an inch in. I hope it's not downhill from here, this guy has some potential.OK, it re-lit easily enough, but the coal is farther in than the burn line, and I see a hole being burned through the capa about a quarter inch (¼") behind it. It caught up to that, pretty quickly, and is smoking fine, again.

Edit 2.
The burn line has caught up and passed the coal, and it's ligero leaf is now sticking out of the cigar about the same ¼ inch opposite of the complete tunnel from earlier. It's starting to taste a little burnt, though, otherwise it's still fairly leathery and earthly, now.

Edit 3.
I'm nearing the band, now, and this IS a GOOD cigar. It is not, however a great or overly complex cigar, though. The flavor hasn't developed any more than when I started.The flavor is fine, and it's been a lovely afternoon with a smoke, I haven't done this in a while. I would smoke these again, but they might not be my first choice.

It's been worthwhile.

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

Last edited by TommyBB; 03-23-2016 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Progress
TommyBB is offline   Reply With Quote