Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Smokin Tunes

Smokin Tunes A place for musicians and music lovers (that also smoke cigars!) to discuss their passion.

Old 08-10-2007, 05:55 AM   #11
SmokeAndSpice
Club Member

I can't remember the first time I heard it-- my older brothers were into Floyd before DSotM so I heard all sorts of stuff like that all the time. My platter did get lots of headphone time, especially while I was in college.

I do recall vividly hearing Wish You Were Here when it first came out and the big DSotM fans were saying it was a major letdown. That one blew me away (too), and remains my favorite Floyd album.

As for band members... my feeling is that WYWH was the last album the whole band really collaborated on, and was their last really good album. After that, Roger Waters' influence got bigger and bigger, to the detriment of the band as a whole. All in my opinion, of course.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:18 PM   #12
Huey
CW's Shark Wrangler
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by gui_tarzan
I was with friends in an altered state sometime around 1979. I think. Anyway, I love most of Pink Floyd's music but you don't have to be stoned to appreciate it. David Gilmore's guitar playing is filled with emotion.

I don't think you have to be stoned to appreciate it, but I've heard from more than one person that Dark Side, in particular, is more readily appreciated in flagrante cannibas.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:16 AM   #13
Bluespicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huey
Quote:
Originally Posted by gui_tarzan
I was with friends in an altered state sometime around 1979. I think. Anyway, I love most of Pink Floyd's music but you don't have to be stoned to appreciate it. David Gilmore's guitar playing is filled with emotion.

I don't think you have to be stoned to appreciate it, but I've heard from more than one person that Dark Side, in particular, is more readily appreciated in flagrante cannibas.

It might help.....it's been overplayed so much I couldn't stand to listen it unless I was gassed. And I'd have to turn the LP over and that might be too much work.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:45 AM   #14
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

I was trying to educate my son's ear in rock history and played it for him. It sounded a lot more cliche than I remembered.

"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be" sounded really deep as an adolescent. As an adult, it sounds like bullshit.

FWIW, Wish You Were Here is my favorite PF album. The Wall is suicidally depressing (or at least it was in my youth) and I can't bear to listen to it ever again.

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 04:26 PM   #15
Huey
CW's Shark Wrangler
Herf God

That's the Roger Waters influence. When the Tigers Broke Free is a song that tells a factual story. Waters seems to have never really worked that event out.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:17 PM   #16
Black Plague
Herf Meister

Not my first time, but the time I really started appreciating it, was back in college, after pulling an all-nighter during finals week, writing three essays (FOR ONE CLASS) over Jewish mysticism...so given the sleep deprivation and having been forced to think about the nature of God, reality, and spiritual destiny all night, I might as well have been chiefing a shit-ton of ganja

After I was finished around 4 or 5 in the morning, I couldn't go to sleep because I had to go turn the papers in to my professor's office. I had a video on my computer of DSOTM synched up with "The Wizard of Oz."

I know they never really made the album to synchronize with the Wizard of Oz...but man, the coincidences are eerie...and for some reason Speak To Me/Breathe being played over the credits sequence and opening of the movie was so haunting and mystical.

Made me appreciate the album even more.
Black Plague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 09:42 AM   #17
Catdeddy
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Plague
I know they never really made the album to synchronize with the Wizard of Oz...but man, the coincidences are eerie...and for some reason Speak To Me/Breathe being played over the credits sequence and opening of the movie was so haunting and mystical.
And listening to the final heartbeat at the end of the album as Dorothy knocks on the Tin Man's chest.