Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Old 01-01-2019, 10:54 AM   #1
xrundog
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

Daily Smokes Mini Reviews 2019

Time to start a thread for the New Year!

I wish I could open with a better cigar, but it's 15 degrees today so I went to the Winter humidor for a couple Honduran Bench Made Corojos from JR's. These come in bundles of 50 wrapped in newspapers. I smoked a CG in the morning and just finished a robusto. These burn well, taste good, and at $1.50 or so apiece are a good value. I originally thought that if it was really cold and uncomfortable I could pitch one of these. But I always stick with them because they are pretty tasty!
xrundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 01:17 PM   #2
xrundog
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

JR's Nicaraguan Factory Overrun Churchill today. I am working through the last half of a bundle of 20 of these. They are pretty well made, the burn is decent. But the flavor is a tad on the bitter side. I'm smoking them and they don't suck. But I won't buy more of them.
Old 01-08-2019, 03:45 AM   #3
xrundog
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

Yesterday I smoked a Charlie Torano Captiva Churchill. 7 x 48, nice dark wrapper, good even burn with a pleasant chocolatey flavor. This cigar is a winner for me.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:05 PM   #4
jefslat
CW WarCraft God
CW Special Correspondent
Editor at Large
Predominant CW Ambassador
Herf God

Mombacho Mombachito. 4x28 long leaf hand-rolled greatness.

El perro, el perro, es mi corazon.
El gato, el gato, el gato no es bueno.
El Jefe es cantante,
El Jefe es muy famoso
El Jefe es el hombre con el queso del diablo.

El perro, el perro, nunca sin raison
El gato, el gato, el gato es obseno
El Jefe es caliente, El Jefe es carinoso
El Jefe le da besos mejor que su esposo

What Would TOJE Do? Þ £
jefslat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 05:02 AM   #5
xrundog
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

It's still cold here. But yesterday I decided to smoke a Torano Vault (silver label) CG. What a strong and tasty chocolate stick! Great cigar!
Old 03-16-2019, 04:45 AM   #6
xrundog
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

I have smoked up all of my Honduran Bench Made Corojos. I'll probably buy more this summer. I smoked 100 of them (50 CGs and 50 robustos.) and they are uniformly good. Not great, but a good smoke for the pittance they cost.

Now I have a Winter humidor full of EP Carillo Overruns. I bought 80 of these from JR's in a BOGO a few months ago. 20 churchills and 60 robustos. I am finding with overrun cigars that the shorter cigars seem to out perform the longer. The churchills have been hit and miss. But even the misses are really okay. But the robustos are all firm, earthy cylinders of toasty goodness. I am surprised by how good they taste and how long they smoke. JR's had another BOGO on these a few days ago and I missed it. I will be watching for another so I can grab another 100 of the robustos.

The weather is finally warming up! I'll be smoking from my regular humidors soon.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:53 AM   #7
xrundog
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

H. Upman Legacy Toro today. I bought a 10 pack of these from a member here and paid $2 per. At that price these are a good deal.
The construction is good. The cigar is a firm medium brown cylinder with a nice even burn. The ash is white and loose with a slight cone that stayed centered. The flavor is unremarkable but pleasant enough. I'd say these are medium strength with some richness. I got lots of smoke from this one. I enjoyed the smoke.
I don't know what these retail for. If I came across a sale where they priced at $3 or less I'd buy some.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:51 AM   #8
xrundog
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

Crux Epicure. I bought a 5er of these from a fellow CW member. Not sure about the size. Looks like 5 x 46 with a shade wrapper. The wrapper is light and smooth. It's a tight cylinder with an easy draw.
The burn was straight all the way with a tight dark ash. The flavor was good. Nothing fancy but a well made reliable smoke. I like 'em and am looking forward to smoking more.
Old 03-24-2019, 02:24 PM   #9
xrundog
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

Room 101 Series HN Robusto today. These present a little on the dry side but they don't smoke that way. Dark brown smooth wrapper, perfect draw and lots of smoke. The burn is straight, the ash is firm and the taste is pleasant.
I bought 50 of these for under $3 apiece. I haven't had a bad one yet. I don't usually go for Honduran cigars but I like these a lot.
Buy some in any size!
Old 05-01-2019, 08:42 AM   #10
xrundog
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

Hi! I haven't felt like posting for awhile. Plus the weather has been up and down and I've been smoking fairly mundane cigars.
But I'm back! I smoked an Alec Bradley Black Market Vandal The Con Toro today. Yeah, the name is a bit wordy. But this is a good smoke!
The wrapper is a light, smooth and shiny Connecticut shade. The burn was pretty straight with a tight, light gray ash. The flavor was smooth and rich. Not particularly complex, but good.
If you like light wrapper cigars you will probably like this one. I recommend it!