Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-28-2004, 01:55 PM   #1
smelly4tay

Mystery Review - Cigar #1 & #2 &#3 from fvfanmc

I saw the other review of this mystery stick, and figured I would see if I could find similarities in DraKhen99's notes. Well....here it goes...

When I first took #1 out of the bag, I thought.....Cohiba(gotta dream . Extremely shiny, Cnnct. Shade type wrapper. The cigar was rolled well and atleast a 54-56x6 sized smoke. First squeeze of the cigar, surrendered only a couple hard spots and a couple soft spots.

The cap and smell were not great indicators if this was gonna be ISOM or not.....but I later suspected no, when I looked at one of my Esplendidos. Sure, many wrapper shades can differ greatly in the same brand.....but this was obvious. And definitely not a disappointment either, for I love mild-medium with a little spice(non-cuban).....stuff like "O" Bold, Montecristo SerieV, and CAO Black. The Mystery #1 looked like it fit right in with that category.

o.k, o.k....on to the smokey-smoke:

I clipped this cigar with my Swiss Army Knife, but could barely get blades around the girth of this mammoth. Spongy cut but even, and no wrapper runnage of any sort.

As I torched the foot, a woodsy/earthy aroma wafted up and bit**slapped me in the nostrils. ......it was pleasant, but a wake-up call. I lit and took first few puffs....kinda chalky.

Not a tremendous amount to report on the first 2 inches, cause it really had to warm itself up. Very mild, and the background tobacco flavors that are very slight....but Very good. As I was smoking the first part of the cigar I thought this would be a perfect cigar, maybe a little smaller, to pass out to Mild Lovers and Newbies. The ash is the common whitish-grey semi-flaky. Burn is, for the most part, EVEN.

As the flavors start to be more pronounced, I catch grassy, herbal, and just the quality tobacco flavor. Dominican maybe? slightly sweet, and the finish of every puff, and the follow-up deep breath.......SMOOTH......the smell of a freshly opened can of almonds.

1/2 to 3/4 of the way done with this shy beast, and enjoying it. I can see how the previous review mentioned "butter" tones. The cigar is starting to really warm up, become too soft, and the smoke.... more bitter.

I din't nub it, but if there were a band on this i would of burned right over it.

Overall, I would pick up a few 5-packs if offered on an auction site that I frequent....and probably end up gifting 8 or 9 out, and taking one out on the golf course. I would say this cigar sells for 2-6 dollars a piece and after long, hard thought......is it a Romeo Reserve Real? I know I have to wait.

Looking forward to puffin on #2

THANK YOU fvfanmc! ,

Cigar #2

I sat down with cigar #2 thinking that it had plenty of rest in my humi, and that all was well. And it was......

The size on #2 was a 50x5 1/2, long robusto, that was covered in crystally age. It didn' t really have a strong smell, and construction looked a little rough.

I clipped the cigar, and pre-light draw gave little indication as to the taste or amount of smoke that would be traveling through the cigar. I set torch to foot, and took a few puffs to get burn started off on the right track.

First taste of smoke was good. Hints of almonds, and a slight grassy taste. It was fairly tasty for the first inch, burned even, and had very little bitterness.

The muted grassy/earthy taste continued, but then turned very harsh and bitter as soon as I got halfway. It was hard to continue smoking it, and I put it out. I try and give every cigar a fair shot, and initially, with all the age crystals.....I thought I would be nubbing the heck out of this thing.

I remeber recieving an e-mail that this particular cigar may have been sick.

Thank you fvfanmc!
Review #3 and #4 to come this evening.
smelly4tay is offline   Reply With Quote