Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-15-2008, 11:37 AM   #1
daniyal
Starting Member

Hoyo de Monterrey Regalos LE 2007

I walked into my B&M today afternoon during lunch hour for a smoke, had a grilled chicken sandwich and lit up the HdM Regalos LE 2007 which has a beautiful dark oily wrapper and is simply gorgeous to look at.

I was surprised by how freely it smoked, I thought perhaps the guys had clipped a little too much off but the cut was just right at every puff I got a mouthful of rich, spicy smoke. This cigar started to over power me after a few puffs and got me thinking may be it just not for me, perhaps with a little more age I may enjoy this stick. Anyway I decided there was no point in putting down a stick that looked this good so I decided to be patient with my smoke.

I sat back in the couch and puffed away leisurely and a little after the second third started the spice started mellowing down and I could taste the pepper. Man this cigar is loaded with some pepper constantly tickling my tongue there are a few other layers to the spice but I just can't identify them the pepper in this cigar is too strong at the moment.

As I approach the last third a wonderful creamy fruity flavour emerges. I'm starting to like this cigar as much as it over powered me with its first few offerings it was rewarding me with its last leg. I smoked this one to the nub, it smoked beautifully throughout with a solid grey ash. You can see how well this cigar is rolled simply by looking at the way the ash forms on this baby. Had a little burn problem starting off but it corrected itself pretty quickly.

Final thoughts on this cigar is that it is too young to be fully appreciated at the moment and many may be turned off by it. However given some time I can see this becoming a classic much talked about smoke. Its 46 ring gauge and approximately 137 cm and is made for long term ageing. This cigar needs to be put away for at least five years in my opinion for it to be divine!

Appearance: 14/15
Ash: 9/10
Burn: 8/10
Draw: 8/10
Smoke: 10/10
Flavour Blend: 16/20 (this is a bad mark but the pepper is too overpowering for me at the moment)
Uniqueness: 9/10
Finish: 13/15 (I can still taste this cigar and its been 8 hours since I smoked it.. its got a loooong finish that leaves your mouth coated with this wonderful creamy peppery twang. I like it but this cigar has a long way to go).

I've had some time to think about this smoke and its been on my mind ever since I smoked it. I will go out and get some more of these even though its not some thing I'll enjoy as a regular or occasional smoke any time soon, it simply too spicy for me at the moment, but I do see it mellowing with age and developing more complexity and for that I for one can not pass on this cigar and will probably be kicking myself in the ass if I do five years from now.

Total score: 87/100
daniyal is offline   Reply With Quote