Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Smokin Tunes

Smokin Tunes A place for musicians and music lovers (that also smoke cigars!) to discuss their passion.

Old 07-06-2019, 03:05 PM   #1
N8DCJ
Club Member

Clapton

I may asked this already...

How many of you have seen him live?

I am a huge fan, but, until I saw him live I didn't "really get it"

If you haven't seen him, whoever your favorite guitarist is, take that maybe 5-10 fold better...

Videos don't do it, you have to see him live...

Dan
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."
N8DCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 03:35 PM   #2
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

I saw him live when his single I Can't Stand It. Small crowd. Didn't really know his music at that point. Either fresman or sophomore year in high school.

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 05:40 AM   #3
vernonator
Herf Meister

I have seen him 3-4x over that last 40 odd years and you are right...great showman, great live guitarist
vernonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 02:16 PM   #4
Poohdvm
Club Member

I have seen him 3 times. Twice in the early nineties. Both were great shows. No opening act and lasted 3.5hrs.
I was also fortunate enough to see the First Eric Clapton Guitar Festival in Dallas.
Best part was seeing EC, Jimmie Vaughan, Buddy Guy, and BB King just jamming for an hour. BB would call out a song and they would all play it.
Old 07-09-2019, 02:45 PM   #5
N8DCJ
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohdvm View Post
I have seen him 3 times. Twice in the early nineties. Both were great shows. No opening act and lasted 3.5hrs.
I was also fortunate enough to see the First Eric Clapton Guitar Festival in Dallas.
Best part was seeing EC, Jimmie Vaughan, Buddy Guy, and BB King just jamming for an hour. BB would call out a song and they would all play it.
That would have been fantastic...

The only EC story I have, first time I saw him, at the Palace in Detroit, my gf at time, was attending BGSU got tix, I had a terrible stomach issue, just kept pounding pepto all day...

Part way thru show, brought out a guest, SRV, place went nuts, during first tune together, SRV kept taunting EC, he wanted no part of it, but, kind of went along, then finally he made it obvious, wind it down, SRV must have pissed EC off, because on next song, Eric unleashed it, about half way thru SRV took his guitar off, set it at back of stage and walked off skaking his head, Never came back out...

Sadly SRV was killed a couple months later, the times I saw EC after that he never unleashed it like that, it was amazing, we were actually sitting behind the stage so I saw it all up close'ish

Dan
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."
Old 07-09-2019, 08:13 PM   #6
ElkTwin
Ungulate in Chief
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DCJ View Post
That would have been fantastic...
The only EC story I have, first time I saw him, at the Palace in Detroit,

That would have been this show...
ElkTwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 02:20 PM   #7
Poohdvm
Club Member

I saw the "No Tears in Heaven" tour in New Orleans. GREAT show. Several things really stood out to me from that show.
Jimmie Vaughan walked out and joined EC on stage. Jimmie broke a string but never slowed down.
EC made an announcement: "I have written a few songs on the acoustic guitar and I refuse to play them any other way. We are taking a short break to set up." Jimmie joined him on this set also. 4 guys on acoustic guitars, one was even an acoustic bass, not an upright. I had never seen a acoustic bass before. Wonderful set.

The whole show was just classy. Everyone dressed in black suits/white shirts. Back up singers in gowns. Great show.
Old 07-13-2019, 04:40 AM   #8
N8DCJ
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkTwin View Post

That would have been this show...
Elk

Yep that was it....

Dan
Old 07-16-2019, 06:33 PM   #9
Smokestack Jack
Herf God

EC has always been one of my favorite guitarists. I have most of his albums and cds, including the collab with BBK. Unfortunately, I never got to see him live.