Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Old 10-17-2005, 02:15 PM   #31
The Bonsai

i never froze any of mine and have not had a problem but then again i never did have that many at one time either to present a real risk. i did find this thread very interesting and somewhat amuzing at times.

personally i take care of any 'dormant' beetles by lighting their 'homes' on fire . i wonder if you get a buzz from them? There might be a new market there - the beetle bomb???

LOL
The Bonsai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 07:42 PM   #32
FXAdam
Starting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krakatoa
<<< Source? >>>

My info comes from several Ph.D scientists and researchers at well known universities.
I've never known academics who where shy about touting their findings and publications, so I don't think you need to be so cryptic.

Unless you're full of ****

Feel free to prove us wrong.

I think anyone reading this thread feels clarity is important.

Thanks.
FXAdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 12:41 PM   #33

Hey,

This is a serious problem. They do not come from just cigars. The beetles also appear in dog food, flower, sugar, etc. It took me three pest companies and 2 years to get rid of them. Freeze all of your processed foods for 24 hours.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:03 PM   #34
windsorlacorona
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FXAdam
I've never known academics who where shy about touting their findings and publications, so I don't think you need to be so cryptic.

Unless you're full of ****

Feel free to prove us wrong.

I think anyone reading this thread feels clarity is important.

Thanks.
Thank you. I've been waiting for him to provide published sources for two months now.
-Winston Churchill
windsorlacorona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 02:05 PM   #35
leester
Starting Member

Freezing?

I just left mine outside for today. It was 16 degrees f. this morning.
leester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 02:33 AM   #36
Claudius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krakatoa
1) Some factors that contribute to these differences include how the test subjects are exposed to the cold temps (in glass test tubes, in food material, tightly packed tobacco material), the rate at which the insects are chilled, and the long-term conditions that the beetle colonies have been kept at prior to experiments - colonies kept at cooler temps. can be accilimated and much less susceptible to cold temps. than those maintained for long periods at warmer temps, therefore exact times for kill rates are spotty at best.

2) Whenever dealing with freezing tobacco products, one must remember that the temp. of the medium or material must reach the critical temp. and there is a lag time betw the air temp. and the material temp. as opposed to research studies where glass tubes or slides are used. To remove any doubt, the tobacco should be left in up to 3-5 additional days, just to make sure.

3) Low temperatures as a possible means of controlling cigarette beetle in stored tobacco..... egg clusters will not be physically destroyed ( fracturing, crytalization) at 29-32 degrees since this is well above the freezing point ofinsects which typically have much lower freezing points than water. Cold can kill insects through cumulative effects of a combination of temperature and time. Thus kill can be achieved at a much colder temp. for a shorter period of time or longer exposure to temp. that are not as cold. This cumulative interaction is known as degree-days. Sub-zero temps at -20 F are certainly enough to kill the eggs but most homeowners don't have access to freezers that get that cold. At typical temps. of home freezers, up to 28-30 is usually necessary for a 100% kill (disruption) rate of Lasioderma serricorne egg clusters if present. At temps of -15 F or lower typically only 72-96 hrs. is required.

The misinformation that floats around various cigar websites that simply throwing the infected cigars in plastic bags and in your home freezer for several days up to a week is incorrect. Several recent instances have been noted of re-infestation and subsequent hatchings have resulted using this practice. Again, up to 30 days is necessary without the use of commercial sub zero freezers to ensure 100% of disruption of the embryos in their eggs. The other misinformation is that storing tobacco in the low 60's is insurance against hatching which it is not. The 'magic' number taken from various studies indicates the true number where eggs will not hatch is between 54-57 degrees F. although the relative probability remains low at temps below 64 degrees F.

I agree with this 100%, whether sources are given or not. It is common sense, really, dont you think? I especially agree about the temperature differential being the key to killing the beetle. Pour boiling hot water into a glass, pour it out and pour ice cold water into it and it will break. Leave the glass to slowly cool down after pouring the hot water out and fill cold water in, and nothing happens.

Anyway, Habanos SA freeze the cigars they export at -24C (-11.2F) for five days before exporting them, so my guess would be that everybody here has already smoked a cigar that had been previously been frozen
Claudius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 11:43 AM   #37
windsorlacorona
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudius
Anyway, Habanos SA freeze the cigars they export at -24C (-11.2F) for five days before exporting them
Do you have a source on that?
-Winston Churchill
Old 06-13-2006, 02:31 AM   #38
Claudius

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorlacorona
Quote:
Anyway, Habanos SA freeze the cigars they export at -24C (-11.2F) for five days before exporting them
Yes:

Francisco Vallejo
Product Manager Cigars
Intertabak AG
www.intertabak.ch
Claudius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 08:08 AM   #39
Kilobyte
Herf Meister

Kilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 05:29 PM   #40
windsorlacorona
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD7HTH
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorlacorona
Yes:

Francisco Vallejo
Product Manager Cigars
Intertabak AG
www.intertabak.ch
Touche' Claudius!!
Simply providing the name of another individual who supposedly has information about the activities of a separate third party is not the most reliable form of information, nor is it really contributing anything to the discussion. I'd be interested in seeing any published source that verifies Habanos SA is in fact freezing their cigars before export. I do not point this out to be adversarial, I am just as interested in getting accurate information as anyone else. But any new information that is brought to light that is lacking a published source must be regarded as rumor and hearsay. That does not automatically mean such information is incorrect. However, until additional evidence to support it is brought forward it will remain nothing more than speculation.
-Winston Churchill