Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Old 01-27-2008, 09:07 PM   #1
Meadmaker

Ghurka Xtra Fuerte

I was gifted a Ghurkha Fuerte Torp By DrafterX, when he stopped by the BBQ stand a couple of weeks ago.

I have heard the stories about the exploding wrappers, and thinking some of this may be due to the cold of winter, humidity issues, etc. I decided to try one. Now most of you know that I am not a fan of Ghurkha cigars, but I tried to go into this with an open mind.

This cigar has been stored at 65% RH. The temperature in my office, at the tiome of smoking was 72 degrees. The rh, in my office was 64%, at the time of smoking.

Prelight aroma was of leather and spice. I clipped the cap with my trusty Palio, thanks DED. I toasted the foot with a bic disposible, and fired this puppy up. My initial impression was of Sweet Cream and spice. The first 1/2" was a nice smoke, leather and ceam, with notes of cinnimon and nutmeg. At the half inch mark, I noticed the wrapper flaking a bit. Having a bit of fruit pectin on hand, I tryed to glue the wrapper, using a dab of fruit pectin. It is appearing to help. The smoke has a nice medium body, and the flavors are nice. This cigar is really bringing out the sweetness of the Knob Creek that I chose to pair it with. At the one inch mark, the flaking is back with a vengence. No amount of fruit pectin can stop this split in the wrapper. DAMN!!!
Just as I was really getting into this smoke, it fricken blew apart. At the 1 and 1/2" mark the binder splits as well, and the cigar is unsmokable. It is really a pity. Without the crappy construction, the flavors were great. Time for the RP Old World DrafterX gifted me. Having had one of these before, I know I am in for a treat.

Dave (A.K.A. Meadmaker)

P.S. Nothing derogatory towards DrafterX. Thanks bro. The RP is smoking great.