Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Old 09-19-2018, 06:16 AM   #1
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

Anyone remember Pinars?

Those sticks purportedly made with "pre-embargo" Cuban tobacco warehoused in the '50's and tied up in probate until 2003 or thereabouts? I remember the argy-bargy and chimp-screaming by the naysayers, and eventually the hue and cry driving the price into the dumper. I picked up a few fivers of the P2000's (robustos with "85% PE Cuban/15% Ecuadorian" tobacco) from C-Bid for like $15 each before they disappeared altogether, thought they were solid smokes for the price regardless of their origin.

Well, rooting around in the rotation coolerdor for a lawn mowing smoke yesterday, I stumbled across a few that had somehow escaped my attention for the last decade. They've mellowed over the years, softened from medium to mild body but they've maintained nice flavors. Would make a very nice morning smoke with coffee. Not sorry I grabbed some...

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That which does not kill me....has made a grave tactical error.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 04:23 PM   #2
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

Paul Magier was a member here. I remember meeting him at RTDA he was nice eniugh in person.

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

TommyBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 06:08 PM   #3
gumby
Contributing Editor
MOM November 2012 Emeritus
Honorary MOM November 2021
Herf God

I love those kind of coolidor discoveries! 👍🏼👍🏼

Thomas Jefferson
gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 04:27 PM   #4
SmoKerch
Herf God

As I get older, I keep discovering all kinds of new stuff in the coolerdor.

The Great State of Confusion

Just because I may be paranoid, it doesn't mean there aren't people out there trying to get me.

Visit us on The Facebook: Kercheval Bros. Procrastination Consultants !

Galatians 5:24 - NLT
SmoKerch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 04:33 AM   #5
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoKerch View Post
As I get older, I keep discovering all kinds of new stuff in the coolerdor.
I know what you mean

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 11:01 AM   #6
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dawg View Post

Well, rooting around in the rotation coolerdor for a lawn mowing smoke yesterday, I stumbled across a few that had somehow escaped my attention for the last decade. They've mellowed over the years, softened from medium to mild body but they've maintained nice flavors. Would make a very nice morning smoke with coffee. Not sorry I grabbed some...
sixty year old tobacco shouldn't have mellowed to any significant level, I would have thought.

I remember part of the story. You said that the stuff had been locked in probate? I can't help wondering if it had been stored properly in all the forty years it was being argued about.

Unless I'm making a great big mistake here, there would be an unbelievable number of acts of perjury it it wasn't true. Every reference to the origin of the tobacco as grown in cuba, every secondary reference, every paper that was presented in court, well, from the very first entry it would be perjury.

So, what does that mean?

But, otoh, how did it avoid being seized when castro took over?
Briandg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 12:19 PM   #7
gumby
Contributing Editor
MOM November 2012 Emeritus
Honorary MOM November 2021
Herf God

Pre-embargo items were not made illegal.
And I ba e several exsmpmes of cigars that mellow with age: Opus (which are just plain nasty when new), old Cubans, the La Luna MF that was amazing when released but have afed into bland sticks of nothingness.

Thomas Jefferson
gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 03:54 PM   #8
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briandg View Post
sixty year old tobacco shouldn't have mellowed to any significant level, I would have thought.

I remember part of the story. You said that the stuff had been locked in probate? I can't help wondering if it had been stored properly in all the forty years it was being argued about.

Unless I'm making a great big mistake here, there would be an unbelievable number of acts of perjury it it wasn't true. Every reference to the origin of the tobacco as grown in cuba, every secondary reference, every paper that was presented in court, well, from the very first entry it would be perjury.

So, what does that mean?

But, otoh, how did it avoid being seized when castro took over?
IIRC, the story was that it was one or more bales of leaf that were in a warehouse...climate controlled, see? And as gumby says, if it was in the USofA when the embargo was declared, it was fine. Kennedy supposedly sent his peeps to buy up all of the H. Upmann candelas (?) in D.C. before he signed the order.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 09-22-2018, 03:56 PM   #9
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

And really, I guess my point wasn't so much the original story as finding cigars that I paid about $3 for years ago and still diggin' 'em. I'm like gumby in that I love stumbling over forgotten goodies in the coolerdor.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 09-23-2018, 06:49 PM   #10
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

That is a great story. So it was here in storage for a probate. Finck has always told the story that he had a bunch of pre-embargo stored and was salting it into short filler cigars even as far back as fifteen years ago or so.

I just ain't gonna touch the question. So much BS in the world.

I understand how great it is to find the treasures like that. `Seriously, I just found my marsh wheelings a few weeks ago. I bought a box of them forever ago, and they were really great, simple. they are still really good.
Briandg is offline   Reply With Quote