Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-20-2010, 06:21 AM   #10
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

What totally blows me away is the thought of it being in a flood plain, because you are almost inevitably going to have a lot of ground moisture.

Is your budget good?

First off, I think it would be utterly foolish to build it irredeemably as only a wine cellar. Build it as a multipurpose room that could be used by the next owner, or you might lose so much money on the deal it will leave you screaming.

My thoughts would be to start, obviously, with a properly sheet rocked ceiling. Put vapor barriers on walls and the floor, and a layer of closed cell flexible insulation similar to the stuff used under vinyl siding. (talk to the home store workers.) Your floor should be laid inside the built room, on top of the concrete, and you need to do the full process of laying wood over a concrete floor. Furring strips, vapor barriers, sub floor, and finish floor. No reason not to use pergo, unless you plan on spilling a lot.

Do your walls in standard stick and sheetrock, use a WIDE prehung door. Have a 15 amp circuit added, and put an outlet on at least the 3 walls that don't hold the door. It would be common sense to put outlets inside, as well as on the outside of walls where applicable (you may want the refrigeration unit, or other air conditioning considerations. You will need power, one way or another, and it isn't a great idea to add an entire room onto an existing circuit branch.) Make the entire room at least big enough to be a fully functional home office or small bedroom, and multipurpose it yourself if you can't afford to devote that much space. I'd stay in the southeast, and there's no purpose in building it anywhere that isn't in a corner. There's probably no real problem placing it near a furnace or laundry, as you're going to be setting that storage down on solid concrete, attaching it to concrete, and even putting a slight vibration isolating barrier there in the form of the tyvek. (put vapor barriers and standard fiberglass batts into the applicable walls if it is going to be near a heat source.)

No shop lights. I'd stay with incandescent or at the very least an indirect shielded fluorescent. Since you are building a cave, essentially, you should be able to lay the bottles in open storage racks against the outside wall. I'd hang a floor to ceiling drape over the racks if you are going to use the room a lot for other purposes, or build doors on the cabinets.

I don't know, but I think that if you did most of the work yourself, you could do 10 x 12 for a few thousand dollars. I don't think I'd make it any smaller than 8 x 10, or you will start to lose any future utility for the room. Anything smaller couldn't comfortably hold a bed, a big desk, couch, so forth, and it will be actually a handicap upon resale. People may see it as a wasted space, and an obstacle to improving the basement on their own. I'd love to help you out, if I was in the area.

If you have a place that has a serious water or moisture problem, do yourself a favor, and make it completely free standing, not attached to any outer walls. Leave a bit of room for air to circulate.
Briandg is offline   Reply With Quote