Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Pipe Room

Pipe Room A place for the discussion of Pipes and Pipe Tobaccos.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-07-2019, 01:09 PM   #1
kevie49

Review - Samuel Gawith Cannon Plug

This was my first time attempting plug tobacco so I was unsure what to expect. I broke the plug up into, what can be best described as, thick and broken flakes. I then used my trusty Swiss Army Knife to cut these down into small cubes and allowed them to dry for a couple of hours.

Not wanting to take the risk with my favourite briar pipe, I opted for my Country Gentleman Corn Cob Pipe from Missouri Meerschaum. Also, as it is currently 0֯C and I don't have any heating in my garage I decided to only half fill the bowl.

It took quite a bit of work getting this tobacco to light, but once it did it smoked well. The smoke output was reasonable, I'd say about middle of the road: it wasn't vast plumes, but it's certainly not a smokeless pipe tobacco. The smoke was a grey colour, perhaps siding on the darker grey side, but only slightly.

Upon the initial smoking I could tell that this was a lakeland style of tobacco with a note that was slightly floral or soapy, but not unpleasantly so. This seemed to fade to a background note and the tobacco became slightly leathery and very peaty in taste, this reminded me of sitting round an open fire that was being fueled exclusively by dried peat. As I continued smoking a peppery taste developed, this slightly tingly on the tongue, and there was a creamy taste with this. Towards the end of the bowl the lakeland floral/soapy taste developed again. This continued in the mouth and is lingering in the mouth, it is still quite a strong taste 90 minutes after finishing the pipe. I think this is definitely a night time pipe tobacco, not an all day variety.

In my opinion, the tastes were bolder than with a flake, this was actually more like tasting a cigar in that I've generally found that while I'm smoking a pipe the tastes are usually more subtle. This is one for somebody that likes strong flavours and also tobacco with a depth on the palate; it had quite complex tasting notes.

The half bowl lasted me 40 minutes and I enjoyed it: I loved the depth of flavour and whilst these were strong it was a pleasant smoke that never became hot and didn't bite the tongue. I'm glad that I didn't fill the bowl as I think I would have struggled staying in the cold for 80 minutes; I was ready to get back into the warmth.

I would recommend trying this, but it certainly won't be for everybody. I can imagine this will have the Marmite effect: you'll either love or hate it. I would suggest that you get a sampler size to begin with.
kevie49 is offline   Reply With Quote