Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-07-2016, 06:39 AM   #1
jeepdad
Club Member

FDA Ruling Thoughts

So last night I was sitting comfortably at my local cigar shop with several of my long time herfing friends and of course the topic of the FDA ruling was on everyones mind. We are by no means experts on what this will mean if enacted but here are our armchair thoughts.

1. Boutique Brands are done. Some of our favorites like My Fathers, Kristoff, La Palina, Room 101, Illusione and EP Carrillo will be no more. They would be unable to afford the "hundreds of thousands" for each FDA application.

2. Would General or Altadous (sp) buy up these boutique brands? Not sure. I'm sure they would pick and choose the most profitable. Perhaps.

3. The cigar industry would pass these higher costs on to us. Understandably. So would Cuban cigars be a less expensive choice?

4. Local cigars shops would close by the thousands. Cigars would likely be an online service only. With few exceptions.

5. With higher costs could anyone afford Padrons and Davidoffs? Would they be forced to change their business model?

6. What exactly is the FDA going to do in their process? Tell the vendor to change their blend? I mean a cigar is all natural with the exception of infused sticks. Lower the nicotine levels? Put ungodly warning labels on sticks?

7. Would a large number of Herfers simply quit?

8. I know I'm just one herfer but I'm going to help CRA and whomever else with my meager coins and congressional correspondence.

9. If our LCS have to pull all sticks born after 2007 off the shelf and send them back to the vendor (I'm told these cigars could not be resold by the vendor). So, would the LCS owner have a fire sale of these sticks at severerly reduced prices in order to not send them back to the vendor?

11. I can foresee in the not to distant future walking out of my local hardware store when approached by a guy in a trench coat "psst, mister wanna buy some real US cigars". He pops open his trunk and has a stash of sticks at a reduced price. I wonder if they will be fake and made with Cuban Tobacco!

12 Shit.

Thoughts?

Last edited by jeepdad; 05-09-2016 at 03:17 AM.
jeepdad is offline   Reply With Quote