Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

View Poll Results: Would you go back?
Yeah, it's alright... no harm done 25 43.10%
No way, screw that dick 33 56.90%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-07-2006, 07:12 AM   #1
pnutbutrsangwich
Club Member

A Hypothetical Question about your local B&M...

So I made plans with a friend of mine to stop into our local V&M for a smoke yesterday. I showed up early and decided to peruse the inventory of their fairly well stocked walk-in. I was in there for probably about 30 minutes, all the while looking out the window for my friend, who was running a little late. I picked up a few cigars to inspect them and replaced all of them in their boxes. While I was in there, I also noticed a sign mentioning that they had surveillance cameras in the humidor and I started looking for where they were. Finally, after I had spent enough time in the humidor, I walked out with a cigar to purchase.

When I got to the counter, the one guy who was working there asked me if I wanted it cut and told me how much I owed him. As I was getting my money out, two police officers came in and asked me if I had anything I wasn't supposed to have. The clerk then tole them that he had "seen me take cigars and put them in the pocket of my coat". I was shocked because I most certainly hadn't done it! After a search, which occurred in the store in front of other customers who were sitting on a couch smoking, it eventually became evident that I was innocent and the clerk appologized profusely. Apparently my "suspicious behavior" warranted his personal attention to the security camera while I was in there and he was 100% positive that I was stuffing my pockets. He called his boss, who also had access to the security feed, and they determined that they should call the police. A total of 3 officers came after me and while 2 of them demanded my ID and personal information, the other came over and said that there would be no further action taken against me.

The clerk was terribly embarrassed, and kept apologizing. Given that I am a pretty easy going person, I was half laughing at the situation, but I felt very disrespected in the whole matter. He offerred to pay for my cigar and said that if I ever wanted to come back, he'd pay for my next cigar as well.

The whole incident sparked up some fun conversation with the guys that were smoking in the lounge area (yes, I stayed and had a cigar) and I ended up making some new friends.

NOW, the question... If this was you, would you ever go back, knowing that the clerk had such little trust in you? I have been to this particular shop maybe 4 times in the last 2 months and I've always had a good relationship with this guy. He told me that they were losing a lot of money to theft lately so his boss was trying to crack down on the problem. There aren't really any other B&M's in the area and this is the most convenient one for me to get to after work to meet friends. I've already made my decision, but I'm curious as to what the populace has to say.