Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > The Sports Bar

The Sports Bar A place for cigar smokin' sports fans to discuss the latest.

Old 05-31-2017, 12:56 PM   #21
mojoe
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtrx View Post
those cars are amazing, and I cannot imagine driving one... slippery at low speeds until the tires heat up... how do you get the tires warm?

By driving it like you stole it. The tires are now 25% wider and have more grip but take longer to get hot. I guess the G-force that the driver takes on a twisty course is pretty high.
Old 06-01-2017, 05:13 AM   #22
b0rderman
Club Member

The tires do need to get into an operating zone as far as temps go...but perhaps even scarier is that the brakes don't work until they get into their zone as well. So you basically have to go balls-out with no tires or brakes before the car even begins to work for you.

Richard Hammond is by no means an average-joe driver. As some of you know, he has logged many hours in the world's fastest road cars. This is what it looks like when a guy with his resume tries to drive an F1 car:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9773pisjCSw
b0rderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 07:22 AM   #23
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0rderman View Post
The tires do need to get into an operating zone as far as temps go...but perhaps even scarier is that the brakes don't work until they get into their zone as well. So you basically have to go balls-out with no tires or brakes before the car even begins to work for you.

Richard Hammond is by no means an average-joe driver. As some of you know, he has logged many hours in the world's fastest road cars. This is what it looks like when a guy with his resume tries to drive an F1 car:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9773pisjCSw
I remember watching that and really felt sorry for him, he so much wants to drive the car, but just cannot. And I just cannot imagine driving one of those cars. Would love to do the 'trainer' ride sometime in the two eat cars, but I doubt I fit.

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 07:24 AM   #24
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

my dad had a Porsche 914 when I was in college, PCA had a track day at Indy, my dad said even at 85 mph the track is scary as hell with the walls.

anybody want to drive the ring?

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote