Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-10-2004, 07:16 AM   #40
ualtim

Just got the mag last night when I got home from work. I have to agree with those that really like it, it is one of the best Cigar mags I have read. I grabbed it, a CAO Cammy (big thanks to the election day bomber who sent it to me), and a glass of Port and headed out to the patio to peruse.

Loved the article on Frank Llaneza and I am looking forward to the future articles. I found the ratings system rather useful. It is pretty straight forward and allows to reader the freedom to use whichever of the ratings that they prefer or a combination of all of them. The summary page at the end of the reviews was excellent. It listed the top cigars by rating in each of the categories. So, if you are just interested in taste, it listed the cigars in order of the taste ratings. The value rating doesn't bother me as some of our fellow BOTL. It is not the be all end all rating for the cigar, it is just another category. If you do not like it, ignore it. About the only thing I found confusing about the value rating was the range of the rating. All of the other ratings are base on a range of 50-100, but there are no such limitations on the value rating. Maybe I will get a better feel for the value rating as more issues are produced and I get more familiar with the rankings.

Most importantly, it has more content that CA but weighs half as much. I have come close to ordering CA several times, but could never pull the trigger as there just does not seem to be enough content in there to justify the price. I am hoping CM continues with their format as I am seriously considering subscribing (the cigar sampler had nothing to do with the decision....... ok, maybe that does factor in a bit.)

As far as being a JR's company rag, I just didn't see it. Yes, the rated cigars are available through JR's and some of the favorites of the BOTL are not, but that may have to do with this being the introductory issue. Someone had to fork out the free cigars to be reviewed for the first issue and other producers may not be willing until they see how the mag does and how its ratings are accepted. If we get to the third or fourth issue and the same holds true, you may have a point, but give it a chance. If cigar mag wants to be taken seriously for the long haul, they will have to be reviewing all of the major and minor popular brands.

I really enjoyed the first issue and I am looking forward to the second one. As long as they can keep the quality up, this looks like one of the better cigar mags available.
ualtim is offline   Reply With Quote