Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > The Sports Bar

The Sports Bar A place for cigar smokin' sports fans to discuss the latest.

View Poll Results: Do you think Kobe is Guilty or Not Guilty?
GUILTY 6 40.00%
NOT GUILTY 9 60.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-18-2003, 01:24 PM   #1
Guv
Internationally Soccer Challenged
Herf God

Kobe Bryant....Guilty or Not Guilty?

Kobe Bryant Officially Charged with Sexual Assault...

http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2003/0718/1582691.html

Charges pressed by DA after two weeks of deliberation

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ESPN.com news services

EAGLE, Colo. -- Los Angeles Lakers star Kobe Bryant has been charged with one count of felony sexual assault, Eagle County prosecutor Mark Hurlbert announced today after two weeks of deliberation.

Bryant will face four years to life in prison, if convicted.

“ I made the mistake of adultery. I have to answer to my wife and my God for my actions that night and I pray that both will forgive me. ”
— Kobe Bryant, in a statement released by his attorney

Bryant's Denver-based attorney, Pamela Mackey, has scheduled a news conference at 9 p.m. ET time tonight at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, but there is no word whether Bryant will be there. Mackey also released a statement on Bryant's behalf shortly after the announcement.

"I am innocent of the charges filed today. I did not assault the woman who is accusing me," Bryant said in the statement. "I made the mistake of adultery. I have to answer to my wife and my God for my actions that night and I pray that both will forgive me. ... Nothing that happened June 30th was against the will of the woman who now falsely accuses me."

Bryant, 24, turned himself in to authorities July 4 and was released on $25,000 bond. The woman claims he attacked her at the Lodge & Spa at Cordillera in nearby Edwards on June 30.

His attorney has said the five-time NBA All-Star is innocent and was in Colorado for knee surgery at a Vail clinic. In a brief interview with the Los Angeles Times last week, Bryant said he "would never do something like that.''

Bryant attended the ESPY Awards in Los Angeles on Wednesday night, but avoided the media in his first public appearance since his arrest. He sat in the audience smiling and laughing with his wife, Vanessa.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.