Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-16-2023, 05:05 AM   #1
smbauerllc
Friggin Tobacco Lover!
Herf Meister

Perdomo Reserve 10th Anniversary Champagne Torpedo

Specifications:
Year of Manufacture/Box Codes/Purchase date: 2011
Country of Origin: Nicaragua
Wrapper Color: Colorado Claro
Wrapper type: Equadorian Champagne Connecticut
Filler: Nicaraguan
Binder: Nicaraguan
Vitola: Torpedo (7x54)
Manufacturer: Perdomo Cigars
Distributor: Tabacalara Perdomo
Factory: Perdomo Cigars Esteli, Nicaragua
Humidimeter Reading: 64%
Current Production: yes
Price: $8.52 (current)

Environment:
Temperature: 10 degrees
Humidity: 52%
Wind: N/A

Setting: My regular spot in the little, outdoor smoke shack.

Paired with: Iced coffee

A very smooth, single thin vein, barely visible seams, light tan wrapper with a very smooth, medium length cap, hard bunch, and very easy draw with no discernible taste. Overall a very attractive cigar.

Sharp, even burn, flat coal, very lightly mottled white, typical, ash and an easy draw

Excellent smoke volume, cool, but biting/sharp smoke on the retrohale, and a strong, fragrant aroma of good, old, plain tobacco with just the lightest floral hint.

Generous richness, body, and flavor, mild-medium in strength, and a perfect balance of herbal and woody flavors, with just a slight accent of floral and spicey notes.

A medium strength, short length, herbal, woody and light spice finish/aftertaste.

From a 2020 review in Cigar Aficionado:

“Well rolled with a very precise point, this tan torpedo imparts a creamy smoke that's floral and oaky with a bit of graham cracker and a spicy note of ground red pepper in the background.
Score:89”

For possibly the first time ever, my review fairly closely matches the included “professional” review. I too detected floral and oakey (woody) notes, and a slight note of spiciness. We also gave it the same score as well, which is fairly rare too.
If memory serves, and I could be wrong with my memory damage, and I’m not going to look back through a bunch of reviews since I started including them to check, I typically score a cigar lower than that of the included review.

Some is likely due to age difference, as I’m rarely able to find a review from within a couple years of the one I’m reviewing, as I have always only reviewed unusual, discontinued or well aged cigars, and even if I do find a review from the same year as mine, the “professional” review was recent production, just from the same year of manufacture, whereas mine typically have 8+ years on them.

Also some could be due to all the many different things I include in my reviews compared to other people’s reviews I’ve read which you not only have to wade through a bunch of fluff to find the info your looking for and a little bit because, as many people believe, causing them to be very skeptical of magazine reviews especially, I’m beholden to no manufacturer, advertisers, organizations, etc. I score things exactly as I see them, and while I’m in the process of smoking the cigar vs doing it afterwards by memory. Honestly, I have to as I’d never remember all the details in my reviews to do it after, lol

Summary:
Overall, a very good cigar with excellent character and a final score of 89 out of 100.

Not loosing more than 2 points in any given section, so no major issues with any aspect of the cigar, instead it simply fell short by a point or two in all but the smoke volume section, resulting in the score it received.

Just another note on my reviews, I actually have very little control of the final score, as its comprised of 8 separate sections with their own scoring, and comprised of a checklist of things specific to the particular category which I use to score the section. Deciding the section score is the only part that is really opinion and based on my perceptions of the marked items effect on score.

I friggin love cigars
smbauerllc is offline   Reply With Quote