Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-05-2014, 10:15 AM   #1
Capitone
Starting Member

Maria Mancini - Robosto Larga

Wrapper: Habana 2000
Binder: Honduras
Filler: Nicaragua
Size: 6 x 50

It may just be me, but it really seems like there aren't many ugly looking cigars at this price point these days. Just a pretty, dark brown, well rolled vitola with a subtle underlying glisten of oil. A thorough sniffing of the tobacco divulges a musty kind of funk which initially sounds bad, yet more seasoned BOTL's tend to adore such cues as they are reminiscent of a few well known and sought after smokes.

Prelight draw was delightful. Sweet, dark tobacco, definite raisins and cocoa. Excuse my French but I could dry puff this thing all day. Still....how many times have you puffed on an unlit cigar and thought "Man, I sure hope this baby smokes like that!" only to be sorely disappointed upon lighting? Unfortunately for me, this tends to be the case more times than not. Admittedly not always in a bad way either.

This stick however, from 1st light to about the 1st 3rd smoked VERY closely to its prelight precursor. A "Wow...this is why I smoke cigars" moment ensued the entire duration. Very smooth, dense, lightly sweet, almost chewy kind of smoke that I usually imagine when I think of a "Good Maduro". With a little down time, one can get pleasantly lost in such a cigar. Sufficed to say, this changed slightly at the 2/3 mark building in body along the way, slightly muting the beginning notes. Still not bad. Last 3rd not so much but this may be be due my letting it accidently go out and then relighting.

Which brings me to another observation. This stick requires more attention than most to stay lit. Nothing extreme, but don't expect light puffing to bring it back to life after setting it down longer than 2 or so minutes, this just isn't that type of stick. Also, as has been alluded to before, corrections to burn were indeed necessary 3 or 4 times while smoking. An apparent character trait of the H2000 wrapper, though it really didn't take much away from the overall experience as I thoroughly enjoyed this smoke. Man do I hope these are consistent. I've four more to find out.

Were it not for the burn, I'd of rated a solid 5. Great smoke.