Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Old 08-27-2008, 08:00 AM   #1
laststandchili

Custom Humi

A little advice please gents;

I recently picked up a wooden antique refrigerator for a song, and am considering converting it for cigar storage. It's in good condition, and I believe is porcelin lined.

It's about 3 ft wide, 4 feet high and about 2 deep, and would be cedar lined w/ adjustable shelves in the upper half. Easily 12 cu feet of space.

I've seen comparable pieces in poor condition on ebay for around $600.

Any ideas of what a reasonable price would be for something like this converted for cigars w/ a basic cleanup and finish on the exterior?
Old 08-27-2008, 01:46 PM   #2
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

hard to predict the price and very hard to predict whether there'd be buyers... sorry I can't help much. You might want to post your desire to cell such an animal and see what attention it draws.

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 07:36 AM   #3
xrundog
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

If you left the original lining, cleaned it up and made a cedar framework to hold shelves it might be more interesting to a collector. There's no market to make a comparison. Figure your original cost, materials and labor outlay, and extrapolate from there what you think it's worth. Then be willing to sit on it until the right buyer comes along.
xrundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 09:26 AM   #4
laststandchili

Thanks. Hopefully by the time I get it set up I'll have caught up with technology enough to post some photos.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:45 PM   #5
mrtapes
Contributing Editor

Re: Custom Humi

Quote:
Originally Posted by laststandchili
A little advice please gents;

I recently picked up a wooden antique refrigerator for a song, and am considering converting it for cigar storage. It's in good condition, and I believe is porcelin lined.

It's about 3 ft wide, 4 feet high and about 2 deep, and would be cedar lined w/ adjustable shelves in the upper half. Easily 12 cu feet of space.

I've seen comparable pieces in poor condition on ebay for around $600.

Any ideas of what a reasonable price would be for something like this converted for cigars w/ a basic cleanup and finish on the exterior?
Hey "Chili".

Check out my article....

Hope this helps you out!
Mark
Old 09-02-2008, 07:56 PM   #6
PLUSH
Club Member

Wow, that is a great conversion. Very nice. I would love to do this, just don't have any of the tools to do it. If you don't mind me asking what was the total cost of the conversion?

Thanks
Old 09-03-2008, 05:25 PM   #7
MTMOuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Smoke
Wow, that is a great conversion. Very nice. I would love to do this, just don't have any of the tools to do it. If you don't mind me asking what was the total cost of the conversion?

Thanks
I've done two so far...one for myself and one for a buddy. If you have the tools, then all you have is material cost.

Your biggest expense will be Spanish cedar. So it depends on what price you can get it for.

You can expect to have $250 - $350 in material cost.
MTMOuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 03:29 AM   #8
laststandchili

Re: Custom Humi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtapes
Hey "Chili".

Check out my article....

Hope this helps you out!
Mark
Thanks Tapes,

I've seen that article and its been inspirational. I don't think I'm going to tear the liner out on mine, but you definitely have me thinking about taking it down farther than I'd originally intended.

Quite a labor of love. I'm leaning toward keeping mine rather than trying to sell. It helps that my girlfriend loves the piece.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:59 AM   #9
laststandchili

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrundog
If you left the original lining, cleaned it up and made a cedar framework to hold shelves it might be more interesting to a collector.
I'm leaning in this direction. The lining is actually tin w/ a layer or several of paint.

I set a bowl of distilled water and a hygrometer in there just to get an idea of how it would hold RH, and it ran consistently at 69 percent after a couple days. Thats with the drainage hole open at the bottom. That surprised me, but hopefully that means there will be some ventilation. This should be cool as long as the rh is consistent inside right?

Planning to build some shelves and start filling her up. Humidification should work fine with a hydra and a few pounds of 65 percent beads.

Heres a dumb question: I've read in a couple different places of folks keeping desktop humidors in larger cabinets. In this capacity they'd basically be used as storage boxes and not need any humidification set up of their own right?
Old 09-11-2008, 12:36 PM   #10
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

Nice work, MrTapes, beat me to posting the link.

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

TommyBB is offline   Reply With Quote