Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

View Poll Results: Which Cigar shows do you enjoy? May vote more than once.
Smoke This! 2 25.00%
Cigar Advisor (Famous Smoke Shop) 2 25.00%
The Cigar Authority (Two Guys Smoke Shop) 3 37.50%
Kap Kaplowitz (who posts in the Cigar Weekly FB group) 3 37.50%
The Bakersfield Gentlemen 0 0%
Tommy Zman 1 12.50%
Smooth Draws (out of Atlanta, now ended) 1 12.50%
Kiss my Ash (Abe of Smoke Inn) 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-18-2019, 08:23 AM   #1
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

Cigar Media and entertainment

We have discussed things like this before, and as usual, with a healthy variance of opinions. Normally there is the curmedgeonly view that "I like what I like, and this guy/these guys are full-of-crap or wannabes....I don't need someone else to tell me."

Then there are guys like me who simply value the information, the personalities, the discussion of something I enjoy greatly. Kind of like the place sports radio and ESPN USED to fill in my life.

I remember it starting with "The General, Cigar Dave" and his Smoke This radio show on terrestrial radio during the late 1990s/early 2000s during the boom and the bounce back from the boom. I listened faithfully every Saturday morning on local "business radio" until they dropped it as not being within the mission of the station. Then on the web, early on, my house got very clean as I would dust or whatever to be close to the computer to hear the show.

Now, it's the Cigar Authority on Saturday mornings, the same time as Smoke This.
Here is their latest "after show"
Given my life circumstances right now, this is a welcome distraction from 11:00 a.m. CDT -1:00 p.m. CDT on Saturdays. One need not agree with the commentators taste in cigars to enjoy the show. That is often a problem in threads like this. But it need not be if we are entertained and looking for any extra enjoyment of "things cigars."

Do YOU watch or listen to "cigar radio" or podcasts, or video shows?

The Cigar Authority is the media wing of Two Guys Smoke Shop in New England, and so they have a lot of cache in the business given their sales numbers. Plus they are rather funny.

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

TommyBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:27 AM   #2
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

Feel free to send me other shows if you enjoy them and I will add them to the poll.

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

Old 09-18-2019, 08:42 AM   #3
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

Used to be the Two Guys cigar show locally, which was a friend of CW and John used to guest host (I can't claim any credit bieng an occaisinal caller and stand in at remotes, I'm shy). Since Doc died, it's gone by the wayside and disappeared.

Haven't really found another.

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:51 AM   #4
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigO View Post
Used to be the Two Guys cigar show locally, which was a friend of CW and John used to guest host (I can't claim any credit bieng an occaisinal caller and stand in at remotes, I'm shy). Since Doc died, it's gone by the wayside and disappeared.

Haven't really found another.
"Smooth Draws"
I listened to them. Will add.

Old 09-18-2019, 09:27 AM   #5
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

I'm not familiar with any of these. If they're on the radio then the fact that I'm deaf is probably the reason why I've never heard of them (pun intended).

I do watch some YouTube videos from Cigar Obsession, and a couple others. If the media outlets you identified have a YouTube page or web page please identify same. Thanks.

If people can tell me where to smoke, I can tell them where to go, too.
Rob G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 11:02 AM   #6
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

Rob, I know Cigar Authority, Cigar Advisor, and Bakersfield Gentlemen have video presence on FB, and should likely have YT pages as well, but I have not explored those.

When I listen to Cigar Authority on Saturdays, I go through FB, but they have a podcast page, too, with video of the show live.

I know Smoke This! is likely still on terrestrial radio if you live in Tampa/St. Pete/Clearwater.
As stated earlier, he was a staple of my early years, however seeing him operate on the RTDA/IPCPR/PCA floor, he has let his fame as one of the first cigar radio shows to gain traction go to his head. He walks the show floor as a pompous braggart, barely responding to fans who want photos or simply to thank him or wish him well.

Stan, mrdiver, has also had less than wonderful stories of "The General."

Last edited by TommyBB; 09-18-2019 at 11:09 AM.
Old 09-18-2019, 05:07 PM   #7
Maccabee

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyBB View Post
We have discussed things like this before, and as usual, with a healthy variance of opinions. Normally there is the curmedgeonly view that "I like what I like, and this guy/these guys are full-of-crap or wannabes....I don't need someone else to tell me."

Then there are guys like me who simply value the information, the personalities, the discussion of something I enjoy greatly. Kind of like the place sports radio and ESPN USED to fill in my life.

I remember it starting with "The General, Cigar Dave" and his Smoke This radio show on terrestrial radio during the late 1990s/early 2000s during the boom and the bounce back from the boom. I listened faithfully every Saturday morning on local "business radio" until they dropped it as not being within the mission of the station. Then on the web, early on, my house got very clean as I would dust or whatever to be close to the computer to hear the show.

Now, it's the Cigar Authority on Saturday mornings, the same time as Smoke This.

Here is their latest "after show"

Given my life circumstances right now, this is a welcome distraction from 11:00 a.m. CDT -1:00 p.m. CDT on Saturdays. One need not agree with the commentators taste in cigars to enjoy the show. That is often a problem in threads like this. But it need not be if we are entertained and looking for any extra enjoyment of "things cigars."

Do YOU watch or listen to "cigar radio" or podcasts, or video shows?

The Cigar Authority is the media wing of Two Guys Smoke Shop in New England, and so they have a lot of cache in the business given their sales numbers. Plus they are rather funny.
As you know I listen. It hard to listen live as either I'm busy or forget. I will watch old ones in between weeks. I also search for other cigar podcasts to hear. Used to listen to cigar dave but he just got more and more dirty in some of his discussion. I got tired of it over a specific thing he brought up.
I'm not above tuning in but i am more intrested In finding lesser known casts. I kind of like the average guy having a discussion. When i smoke i enjoy conversation, and well i tend to smoke alone as i don't know.many who smoke or are free. So i tune in to hear a discussion cigar related. I can't memorize all the in and outs like tommey and most you guys so im mostly lost when they talk about the details of cigars. I hope to learn as i listen.
Seems cigars have allot of names for the same thing sometimes because it happens to be 1/2inch longer or wider or a tad more spice or lack there of so it now has anew name.
I find it fun. And no i don't have the tasting credentials of the hosts. Im vert limited in what i get from a cigar and often submit to others more refined tastes.

Sent via Tapatalk
Knight of Christendom
Maccabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 05:41 PM   #8
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

That's how I learned, Neil.
Ken, most of the have their own websites so you dont have to go through the Commie gauntlet to find them. Do a web search on Duck Duck Go, so you dont have to use Google.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Old 09-19-2019, 04:25 AM   #9
BigJohn
Chief Geek, @cigarweekly

YOu forgot KMA -Kiss my ash radio from Abe at Smoke Inn...
Help support the CigarWeekly webhost (me!) > Shop online? Start HERE: direct to Amazon.com
Protect your computer from VIRUSES > Get Avast!
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 06:12 AM   #10
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

Added.