Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-18-2002, 01:18 PM   #1
nivek
Club Member

Thanks to grinin for this cigar!

Clone-K

Aesthetics: This was a slightly oily dark maduro. Very bumpy and a few veins were visible. The
wrapper was fairly smooth despite the bumps. Looks fairly similar to my Mayorga H.O. Parejo Trios,
just slightly larger.

2.5 Of 5.0

Construction: Pre-light this cigar was great. Nice draw. Perfectly firm, with no soft spots. Seamed
very well rolled. After lighting, it still wasn’t too bad. Burned well, with no runs. It had a light grey ash
with some black to boot. But the ash was very flaky and messy from time to time, as the cigar
couldn’t hold the ash for a very long distance (an inch max) which I dislike.

3.5 Of 5.0

Flavor and Strength: Full bodied flavor was the norm here. It had only a bit of espresso flavor to go
along with it. It was too strong to be coffee flavor. The odd thing was that every time I thought it was
going too really over power me, it laid off just enough for me to catch up. The full bodied flavor went
the distance of the cigar. In the final third I picked up an almost slightly sweet flavor, which was
much appreciated.

4.0 Of 5.0

General Comments: This aint no sippin cigar! It is powerful, and I recommend a good meal, some
drinks, and sitting down while smoking it. I was impressed despite its fairly rough skin, it delivered
quite a punch. This was possibly the third or forth most ass kicking (in power) cigar I have ever
encountered. Thanks for the wild ride, it was great!

3.8 Of 5.0

Recommendation:

I would recommend these cigars if the person smoking enjoys a very full bodied cigar. Despite the
bumps, it delivers the power. Take caution though, or you will be lying on the floor trying to get the
room to stop spinning. If you don’t dig full bodied smokes, run Forrest, run…

Spiridon!

Aesthetics: A corona sized cigar with a dark brown Maduro wrapper. Kind of a bumpy looking fella,
sort of has that "Henry Clay" look about it. Not rock hard, just a bit of a "spongy" feel. I don't think
most people would call this a "pretty" cigar, but I find it interesting.
Score for aesthetics- 2.5 of 5

Construction: No soft spots, but as noted earlier, a little spongy. The weight feels nice, apparently
well filled. It has a rich tobacco fragrence.
The cap is a little rough looking, but clips nicely, with the pre-draw showing promises of good
things to come. Upon lighting, I find the draw to be "just right"......and from the start, there is a large
volume of smoke. As this one starts to burn down, it does so evenly with no need of correction along
the way. The ash is fairly "light" grey, solid, and firm.
Construction- 3 out of 5

Flavor and Strength: Mmmmmm! This cigar starts off with some nice "Oomph"....with some
"sweetness" to it. There is some spice mixed with some coffee flavors......I would guess that this
one contains Nic. tobaccos. The strength stays fairly steady at a medium-plus level, while the flavor
varies somewhat along the journey going from a fairly spicy/sweet full flavored profile to a more
"muted" version of the same. My guess would be that the Maduro wrapper is at various points
muting the spiciness of the filler.......not automatically a "bad" thing.
Score for flavor and strength- 3.5 out of 5

General Comments: I liked this cigar very much. It had a flavor and strength that I like.......but I
might would like it even more so in a "natural" wrapper....seemed at times the Maduro
overshadowed the spiciness that I like, but overall, I would certainly like smoking this one again.
Just for grins & giggles I'm going to guess that this was a Mayorga H.O. Maduro.
Overall Score - 3.5 out of 5

Recommendation: I would highly recommend this cigar to friends.....I think it would please a broad
range of smokers!

Grinnin!

Aesthetics: 3 Rustic, bumpy looking corona with a dull finely veined dark maduro wrapper and a good cap.
Nice solid feel in the hand. There were a couple small spots of cap adhesive on other parts of the smoke.
Very average looking smoke.

Construction: 4 Despite it’s unimpressive appearance, This cigar is built really well, and smoked perfectly.
Firm throughout, and lasted just about 1 hour, a long time for a corona. Perfect draw, and burn, and the ash
was light gray, firm and chunky.

Flavor/strength: 3.5 The pre light aroma of sweet cedar and leather is deceptive. This cigar starts off strong,
and maintains a straightforward strong consistent non-complex flavor. Woody with a deep espresso like
bitterness (not espresso flavor) that grabs and ligers on the back of the tongue. No sweetness, and a very
dry finish.

General Comments: Not pretty, but a well built, straightforward strong flavored smoke. I opened up a
Guiness stout, to go with it, and the two were very similar and complimentary. I also had a nip of single malt
with end of this cigar, and they held up well with each other. I would enjoy this cigar quite a bit more if it had
more complexity and a touch of sweetness.

Overall score: 3.7

Recommendation: Recommended, but only to smokers who like a strong flavor.

Natgolfer!

Aesthetics: Uneven, veiny wrapper, very dark maduro, slight oily sheen,
wonderful aroma.

Score: 4

Construction: No soft spots, well constructed if not beautiful, very
nice cap, easy draw prior to lighting, and very nice draw after being
lit, volumes of thick, rich smoke, dark gray ash.

Score: 4.5

Flavor and Strength:
Flavor: Very pleasant spicy start, smooth chocolate and leather flavor
and a lingering aftertaste with a hint of sweet earthiness.

Strength: medium

Score: 4.8

General comments: Very satisfying, flavorful smoke. Held my interest
to the nub. Excellent flavor profile and smoking qualities. Went very
nicely with a Negra Modelo.

Overall score for the cigar: 4.5

Recommendation: Highly recommended. This is a rich and satisfying
cigar.

Nivek!

Aesthics: 2.8

Very rough looking dark fiarly oily maduro, cap was well applied. Again this was very rough!

Construction: 3.8

This cigar burned well but had to be corrected a little, Great draw with ample amounts of smoke!

Flavor and strength: 4.2

Very nice medium to strong cigar! Fairly complex flavor with a cedary finish which I love! Started out medium and went up to strong toward the end!

Overall 3.7

General comments! I would have scored this cigar higher except for the looks, like I said earlier it was very rough looking! But the flavor made up for it!

Overall Score"Aesthetics: Uneven, veiny wrapper, very dark maduro, slight oily sheen,
wonderful aroma.

Flavor and Strength:

cigar.

wonderful aroma.

Flavor and Strength:

cigar.

wonderful aroma.

Flavor and Strength:

cigar.

OVERALL RATINGS:

Aesthetics 2.9

Construction: 3.7

Flavor and strength: 4.0

Overall Score: 3.9

Again thanks to grinnin for this cigar! Dont let the looks fool ya on this one is what i take from this review!