Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-17-2019, 08:28 AM   #5
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

About Umbagog...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Saka
Umbagog Explained... Again

This brand really seems to confuse many Retailers and their Staff as to what it actually is, many tell consumers incorrectly they are Seconds/Segundos.

They are NOT!

The Umbagog is a liga very similar to Mi Querida, but not as precise - there is a little wiggle room in the filler tobaccos. Now this sounds subpar, but it isn't - the standards for the Mi Querida are exceptionally high - really the type of standards you would expect on an ultra-premium cigar that costs $15+. Whereas Umbagog is more like a typical premium handmade cigar in the $10-$13 range.

The way we keep the cost down is four fold:

#1 - Very inexpensive packaging - bundle wrapped, simple stickers and locally Nicaraguan printed bands.

#2 - We utilize the broadleaf wrapper/capa that -I- deem not aesthetically pleasing enough to MY EYE to be use on Mi Querida. This is where most of the Retailer/Consumer confusion comes from - this wrapper is fine, most companies would be ecstatic to use it on any of their broadleaf cigars, but that just isn't how I roll. Quite simply put, it is exceptional leaf, properly cured, fermented, and aged - it burns and tastes great but isn't as sexy. Using this wrapper helps to maintain the low price point and top shelf quality on MQ, while also allowing us to roll UMB at an exceptional expressed costing at the factory level.

#3 - Added this one after rereading what I wrote - there is a third factor that helps to keep the cost lower on Umbagog, we actually pay brokers LESS percentage for selling it. Basically we tell them to not actively sell or promote it and whatever sells, sells and they get whatever commission as a windfall. Notice you never see an Umbagog event...

#4 - Another added point: We rarely do any sort of sales promotion or discounts on Umbagog... I may be wrong on this, but I think in the last three years we have only offered any sort of deal on this product at one IPCPR. Maybe twice...***

Because we are selecting and sorting into MQ vs UMB appearance grade prior to production when it is still in its whole leaf form, often times it doesn't end up being nearly as ugly when utilized on an Umbagog, sometimes it looks just as pretty.

However, the capa does often end up being a touch thicker - so while MQ are very durable, the Umbagog are even more so.

In the end though, Umbagog are true firsts, made by the very same pairs that produce Mi Querida and provide a way for cigar consumers to get one hell of a great cigar at about $4+ less than they would typically pay for a like cigar.

I hope this better explains Umbagog.

ps: We warranty every Umbagog exactly the same way we do Sin Compromiso and Muestra de Saka Unicorns.

*** and this is what I mean about too much info... as I have always said, "Our typical customers are the most experienced and informed cigar smokers... they can tell the difference on their own and don't rely on others to tell them what to select."

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

TommyBB is offline   Reply With Quote