Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Old 11-27-2014, 07:26 AM   #1
jimstep

Aging in Box or Humidor

Hello fellow herfer's;

I've been on sabbatical for a few years and am just now rebuilding my humidor and getting back into my cigar ritual.

I have a couple of boxes of cigars that I just ordered and I plan to age them. My question is; Do I removed them from their box and put them in the humidor? Or; Do I leave them in the boxes?
jimstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 07:38 AM   #2
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

The only (slight and somewhat questionable) advantage I can see from removing the cigars from their boxes before placing them in the humidor is one of space-saving. Otherwise, there's nothing to lose from just leaving them in their boxes.

I also recall Mad Dawg extolling the virtues of vacuum sealing (for cigars meant to undergo additional ageing) on many previous threads. So that's another humidor storage method worth considering and investigating.
Old 11-27-2014, 07:42 AM   #3
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

It's really a matter of convenience. As long as the box or singles are stored properly, it's not going to make a difference.

The vacuum sealing is a whole other issue and, obviously, the cigars need to be in a box to do that or you'll destroy (crush) the cigars.

If people can tell me where to smoke, I can tell them where to go, too.
Rob G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 07:51 AM   #4
jimstep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazznut View Post
The only (slight and somewhat questionable) advantage I can see from removing the cigars from their boxes before placing them in the humidor is one of space-saving. Otherwise, there's nothing to lose from just leaving them in their boxes.

I also recall Mad Dawg extolling the virtues of vacuum sealing (for cigars meant to undergo additional ageing) on many previous threads. So that's another humidor storage method worth considering and investigating.
I've got a humidor that will hold up to 500 'gars. It sounds like it's a matter of preference.
Old 11-27-2014, 07:52 AM   #5
jimstep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob G View Post
It's really a matter of convenience. As long as the box or singles are stored properly, it's not going to make a difference.

The vacuum sealing is a whole other issue and, obviously, the cigars need to be in a box to do that or you'll destroy (crush) the cigars.
Thanks. I was leaning toward putting them in my humidor since I have ample room. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking something obvious.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:01 AM   #6
gumby
Contributing Editor
MOM November 2012 Emeritus
Honorary MOM November 2021
Herf God

I have lots of boxes in my coolidors and it works great.

Thomas Jefferson
gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 08:18 AM   #7
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

I think it comes down to a matter of personal preference and ease. I used to store mostly boxes in my Aristocrat. But got sick of hunting for a cigar. Not to mention that a box that is less than half full takes up a lot of unnecessary space. So I decide to fill my cabinet with singles drawers. I now have four drawers from top to bottom, with some space below that to store unopened boxes. It works perfectly for me.

Old 11-27-2014, 07:44 PM   #8
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimstep View Post
Thanks. I was leaning toward putting them in my humidor since I have ample room. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking something obvious.
You are good to go, as is, in the box, or out of the box... just store them at a good temp/humidity

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 03:56 AM   #9
AKDiscer

This seems counterintuitive to me to leave in a box to age. If the box is well constructed, how is the humidity going to permeate the box? My same question relates to vacuum sealing as well. I'll see if I can find the thread on this that was referenced earlier.
AKDiscer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 04:49 AM   #10
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDiscer View Post
This seems counterintuitive to me to leave in a box to age. If the box is well constructed, how is the humidity going to permeate the box? My same question relates to vacuum sealing as well. I'll see if I can find the thread on this that was referenced earlier.
Cigar boxes, even with cellophane, are not airtight. If they were you wouldn't even need to put a sealed box in a humidor.

Vacuum sealed boxes and packaging are airtight.