Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > The Sports Bar

The Sports Bar A place for cigar smokin' sports fans to discuss the latest.

Old 02-14-2005, 08:02 AM   #1
awajr

Tomorrow it becomes official.

Hard Headed Bastages
awajr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 08:09 AM   #2
co-hiba
Herf Meister

This was inevitable. It will be interesting to see if this can be worked out before next season. I have my doubts....

co-hiba

http://galleries.cigarweekly.com/co-hiba/
co-hiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 09:14 AM   #3
Jocus

It won't be worked before next season, because there's no hurry to get it done before september. The players won't receive a paycheck before October even if they sign, so why should they negotiate.

I hope they're locked out untill both sides realise they have to stop calling them the 4th major sport, it's more like a top 20 major sport now.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:57 AM   #4
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

I'm still reading the thread that goes with it.

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

TommyBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 10:10 AM   #5
flipflop
Contributing Editor
CW Butt Whisperer
Herf God

Screw hockey. Both sides have their heads so far up their asses they can see out their belly buttons.
-- Ghengis Khan
flipflop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 10:41 AM   #6
mrdiver
Herf Meister

BOTH sides could have done a better job at PR on this one. The owners cannot expect the players salaries in Detroit to be the same as the players salary in Tampa Bay, as Detroit's revenue HAS to be 2-3X greater then TB's? Hey, you guys pay alot more for a seat then we do and deserve to be able to spend that money on players salaries. I got no problem with that. The owners should have made public their BEST offer and told the press that they're asking the membership of the union, not the "mouthpieces" to vote on it, up or down.
mrdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 10:42 AM   #7
gumby
Contributing Editor
MOM November 2012 Emeritus
Honorary MOM November 2021
Herf God

Does anyone even care anymore at this point? In most of our minds the season was lost a while ago.

Thomas Jefferson
gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 11:38 AM   #8
Jocus

TSN did a poll this week, and they said 40% hope the season is cancelled, and something like 70% didn't care.

Only 30% were sad to see the season cancelled. This was probably people who make a living off of hockey(waitresses, cashiers, taxi drivers, hotel workers, etc...)

So, if 70% of Canadians don't care, I can't imagine what Southern Americans think.
Old 02-14-2005, 12:02 PM   #9
rightwinger
Club Member

I miss it dearly... And I blame the players UNION.

I'm sorry, operating at a loss isn't the owners job, and if they players can't see a salary cap as a reason to keep getting payed then I blame them, and mostly their organization, as I know some of them would love to get back in the game and play. They have jobs many of us would kill for, all over a tallent (and an amazing one at that). Minor league hockey for me this year I guess... There are some guys who really play and make very little doing so when compared to their pro bretheren. (Plus I can sit right on the ice all year for a TENTH of what it would cost at an NHL game)
Old 02-14-2005, 12:20 PM   #10
fvfanmc
Self Exiled
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumby
Does anyone even care anymore at this point? In most of our minds the season was lost a while ago.
I didn't care to begin with, now I am:
fvfanmc is offline   Reply With Quote