Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-19-2011, 02:39 PM   #1
cigarfan
Herf God

Do your cigars improve with age (NC)?

I've read countless debates, and most say that no further fermentation takes place in a finished cigar.
I know next to nothing about that, but I do know...I've had some cigars that are clearly better after a year or so, than when I first got them.

For example, I have a couple of boxes of CAO l'anniversaire maduro (toro) that are well over a year old...approaching 18 months. I remember when I first got them, some were good, but some seemed to have a bit of harshness to them.
So today, being a beautiful day outside.. 75 degrees, very little breeze...just almost perfect weather, I decided to try a CAO maduro again, just to smoke something different.

Wow...just a much more smooth cigar than before. I can't say with any certainly that the flavor profile changed, but it was slow burning, very smooth and very enjoyable.

I may have to hit a couple more CAOs this weekend if the weather holds up.

Another cigar that seems to do well with age, are the Fuentes. A friend of mine gave me a 5 year old 858 (N) awhile back, and it was just about as perfect at a cigar could get. No harshness, no bitter, slow burning..smooth well up to almost the nub.

However, I've had some cigars, that after a year, just don't taste as good to me. Maybe it's my taste buds changed? In my case, the La Gloria Serie 6, maduro...did not improve with a year or two of age. Whereas, they were excellent smokes...pretty much OTT.

Again, I'm referring to NC cigars only.

I would be curious to other's experiences are with various brands of NC cigars.