Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Old 03-02-2008, 06:41 AM   #1
Broken

Cooler question

My modest 100Ct humi with a CigarOasis is now busting at the seams with cigars, so full in fact I got to wondering if the cigars on the bottom farthest from the CO unit were getting their share of the humid air.

I set the CO on 68 and put the remote hygrometer in the opposite bottom corner and was suprised to find it only reading 61 this morning?!?

When I say it's full I mean I have a book on top to keep the lid shut. Granted both hygrometers could be off by a degree or two, but squeezing the cigars tells me they are more dry then the ones closer to the CO unit.

Can I put everything, humi, open boxes and the CO unit in a cooler and spread everything out so they all stay moist until the new/bigger humidor arrives? Is that a reasonable solution?

Thoughts?

Proud member of the 2007 Robusto 8
Broken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 07:42 AM   #2
big ben
Club Member

Yes. Then after it is full you can do the same thing with another cooler.

"I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play." Jack Lambert.
big ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 09:17 AM   #3
TeamGLW

I would think that would be fine. I probably would just leave as many cigars as possible in the humi with it closed and put in cooler. Put your CO in the cooler.
I believe since you don't have any cedar in the cooler, leaving them in the closed humi will add a little buffer unitl you're sure the cooler/CO is keeping steady.

Of course...you can start smoking more of them too

my 2cents

Mike
TeamGLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 09:20 AM   #4
tchapchap
Contributing Editor
Club Member

Re: Cooler question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken
....Can I put everything, humi, open boxes and the CO unit in a cooler and spread everything out so they all stay moist until the new/bigger humidor arrives? Is that a reasonable solution?....
Absolutely. Coolers aren't glamorous but they're hands down the best and most stable environment to store cigars…IMHO that is! Just make sure it's clean inside and doesn't smell like your last picnic!

I had wood humidors but have long since moved everything into coolers, permanently.

(___|CW|_______))))~~~~

(unauthorized use of signature prohibited )
tchapchap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 09:02 AM   #5
mealstrom
Herf Meister

I absolutely love my cooler - the temp and humidity is perfect all the time!

If you want a bit more room take all the cigars out of the boxes and put then in freezer bags, then write all the pertinent info on the bag with a permanent marker. You can triple your storage space that way.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:04 AM   #6
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

coolers are my friends... yep, its a good idea

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 02:15 PM   #7
infiniterapture

Quote:
Originally Posted by mealstrom

If you want a bit more room take all the cigars out of the boxes and put then in freezer bags, then write all the pertinent info on the bag with a permanent marker. You can triple your storage space that way.
Ingenious... but don't we want the boxes with their cedar there to help "stabilize" the humidity..or is that just sort of a moot point since the coolers generally seal so well?

Rudyard Kipling~
infiniterapture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 02:28 PM   #8
Carcosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by infiniterapture
Quote:
Originally Posted by mealstrom

Ingenious... but don't we want the boxes with their cedar there to help "stabilize" the humidity..or is that just sort of a moot point since the coolers generally seal so well?
I use loose cedar (like you'll find in RP Vintage boxes) and broken down boxes to line my coolers. Don't know if that accomplishes anything other than giving the cooler a nice aroma.

For humidity, each cooler has a 1/2 lb of beads and a gel jar that I use as a reservoir for distilled water. Seems to do the trick.
Carcosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 08:46 PM   #9
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

the humidity will stabilize no matter what, the cedar will help act as a buffer though. there's a sticky up top on making coolers - it has a couple viable points

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 02:33 PM   #10
hermit
Club Member

Re: Cooler question

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchapchap
Just make sure it's clean inside and doesn't smell like your last picnic!
Yeah, don't use one that ya used to use for fish.
hermit is offline   Reply With Quote