Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Smokin Tunes

Smokin Tunes A place for musicians and music lovers (that also smoke cigars!) to discuss their passion.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-06-2004, 02:53 PM   #1
cubano67
Herf Meister

Professor Longhair - The TRUE Father of Rock n Roll

WARNING- This is blatant self-promotion.

I have been working on the official Professor Longhair website, www.professorlonghair.com, with the remaining family of the legendary New Orleans piano master, Henry "Roy" Byrd, better known as Professor Longhair. We have the usual biographical and discographical stuff. We also have galleries of rare documents and memoribilia and a lot of other cool stuff. My wife has been acquiring and archiving stuff with the help of one of Fess' sons, Rev. Alex Byrd, for a few years now. If you are a Fess fan or a fan of New Orleans music in general, please check it out. We also have a store with official Professor Longhair merchandise.

It's amazing how important this man was to the evolution of Rock n Roll. He was making what I consider Rock n Roll records in the mid-1940s! Unfortunately he is still under appreciated and was never really appreciated during his life. He died nearly penniless in 1980 after a carreer that lasted over 40 years. I can't stand the idea that his contribution to the American musical lexicon may be entirely overlookd with the passing of the years.

This has been a real labor of love (ie -the pay sucks) and I think it's one of the better New Orleans Music websites, period IMNSHO. Anyway, I just wanted to pass this on if anyone is interested.

Professor Longhair - The TRUE Father of Rock n Roll
www.professorlonghair.com

www.cumberlandcigar.com
-----------------------------------
Support Your Local Tobacconist
cubano67 is offline   Reply With Quote