Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Old 03-08-2006, 07:05 PM   #1
EricDe
Club Member

Kahlua Recipe

Edited 06/17/06 - I finished my first two recipes for homemade Kahlua and they taste great!

Does anyone have a good recipe for homemade Kahlua that calls for fresh coffee?

I got turned on to fresh roasted coffee last year by the good folk at CW and I'll never go back. My wife goes through a bottle of kahlua each week. I wanna make my own using my fresh-roasted coffee. I looked for recipes online and they almost all call for instant coffee or coffee powder.

There has to be a good recipe that calls for fresh coffee. Any ideas?
Old 03-08-2006, 07:08 PM   #2
LabRatGDI
Herf God

http://www.liqueurweb.com/coffee.htm
I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. -- Benjamin Franklin
LabRatGDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 07:30 PM   #3
ZachS
Club Member

You're going to want to adapt those and use everclear and h20 mixed in a proportion to give you a higher proof than vodka will. Also consider using 151 rum. That would probably be tasty.

ZachS
ZachS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 11:46 PM   #4
EricDe
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRatGDI
http://www.liqueurweb.com/coffee.htm
Thanks for the link - that is what I was hoping for.

I'll let you all know in two months how it turned out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachS
You're going to want to adapt those and use everclear and h20 mixed in a proportion to give you a higher proof than vodka will. Also consider using 151 rum. That would probably be tasty.
ZachS
Decent Everclear is hard to get here in California (although maybe I should look a little harder, my favorite cigars are pretty easy to get ). My first batch will be per the recipe. Then I will experiment.

Thank you both for your input. I'll let you know.

Eric
Old 03-09-2006, 05:08 AM   #5
LabRatGDI
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachS

ZachS
I disagree...Kahlua is only around 40 proof in the first place....100 proof vodka would work just fine.
I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. -- Benjamin Franklin
LabRatGDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 11:11 PM   #6
EricDe
Club Member

Alright - I have made some GREAT Kahlua! My March batch had a weak coffee taste. The April batch came out so good. The May batch should be similar to the April batch. It will be ready in a few weeks.

Thanks for those who replied to my earlier request for a recipe. I kinda made my own recipe from those I collected.

Recipe:
1) 1/2 cup Espresso (1/4+ cup fresh roasted beans + 3/4 cup water through my cheap Krupps espresso machine)
2) 1 cup sugar
3) 16 oz Vodka (Smirnoff)
4) 1/2 vanilla bean, slit lengthwise
Mix sugar in warm espresso, then mix together with vodka. Fill empty bottle, add vanilla bean. Seal, wait two months (the hardest part).
Yields 28 oz - just fills an empty Kahlua bottle.

Now that I know the recipe is good, I am going to made bigger batches.

Thanks again!