Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-14-2023, 02:11 PM   #1
smbauerllc
Friggin Tobacco Lover!
Herf Meister

Baptiste by Oliva

Specifications:
Year of Manufacture/Box Codes/Purchase date: 2023
Country of Origin: Nicaragua
Wrapper Color: Colorado Maduro
Wrapper type: Ecuadorian Habano
Filler: Nicaraguan
Binder: Nicaraguan
Vitola: Toro (5.5x54 Oval)
Manufacturer: Oliva Cigars
Distributor: Oliva Cigars
Factory: Oliva Cigars, Esteli Nicaragua
Humidimeter Reading: 64%
MSRP: $4.00

Environment:
Temperature: 48 degrees
Humidity: 43%
Wind: N/A

Setting: My regular spot in the little, outdoor smoke shack.

Paired with: Iced coffee

From Cigar Reviews by the Katman:
The character of the Baptiste by Oliva is deep and rich. A cigar blend that needs no additions.
The screen on my laptop is dancing and blurry. Thank you nicotine. Lol
A five pack is in the $21 region.
But I’m telling you, if you can afford it, snag a box.
The Baptiste by Oliva isn’t a mediocre house blend. It is the real deal.
I have no idea how Oliva made this blend at such a ridiculous price point.
Clearly, I love this cigar. You will too.
Only Famous Smoke has them. *Note: (This is no longer the case)
RATING: 95

So, as has become my habit, I included the review summary by a relatively well known reviewer just for fun, and comparison.

I’m sure based on my previous reviews, people are wondering why I chose to review a $4, current production cigar.

Well, when I first ran across them while cigar shopping, I saw Oliva, which I’m a big fan of, but had never heard of this one before, so naturally I posted a thread asking for first hand experience with them one both forums I follow, and no one responded that they had ever had one, so I thought being an unknown, and cheap, made it ripe for review.

Pre-smoke appearance was very attractive with only 1 thin vein, completely invisible seams, and a very smooth feel, with a long length, medium smoothness cap, firm bunch, and slightly tight, light tobacco tasting, cold draw.

Burn got a fair bit uneven in the first third, but after correction, it was nice and even for the remainder of the cigar.

A mottled grey, typical structure ash, short conical coal, a a very slightly tight draw.

Excellent smoke volume and a fragrant aroma of rich tobacco.

Of ample richness, body, perfectly balanced flavors of herbs and wood, and medium strength.

A medium finish/aftertaste of herbs and grassiness.

Of very good character and an overall very good cigar, with a final score of 90 out of 100.

At $20 per 5 pack, these are a very good, budget friendly cigar that I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend. It may not be the best Oliva product, but for the price its definitely worth a try.

This is from the second five pack of these I have bought. A nice smoke at a nice price, that finishes off the last of your budget/order well.

I don’t find them box worthy like Katman, but having a fiver on hand for when you want an inexpensive, good smoke for when your mind is on other things, these a a great way to go.

I friggin love cigars

Last edited by smbauerllc; 01-14-2023 at 02:23 PM.
smbauerllc is offline   Reply With Quote