Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-28-2022, 05:31 AM   #1
smbauerllc
Friggin Tobacco Lover!
Herf Meister

Input on a theory

So, i have a partial box of cigars I just received, and at least in the past, vendors were well known to store and ship cigars at a very high rh, thus necessitating waiting a month or more for them to drop to your preferred rh before being able to smoke one, so my thought was, to put a small well verified accurate, hygrometer in the closed, latched, box with the cigars, while they are in my big tupperdor and thus seeing roughly at least, what rh the cigars currently are.

Logically, it seems like this should work.

I tried it yesterday, and after sitting overnight, the hygrometer read 59% when I checked it this morning (the rh of my 74qt containers is 65%).

The box had spent 4 weeks in transit, and was not sealed in any way, and there was no humidification with it, so again, logic tells me that they would be on the drier side rather than wetter side, so the hygrometer reading seems to make sense.

Curious on opinions about this method of testing rh of newly received boxes.

Good idea that should work within a reasonable margin of error, or crackpot idea that would be pointless?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Sean

I friggin' LOVE cigars
smbauerllc is offline   Reply With Quote