Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-27-2021, 08:58 AM   #1
mike s
Contributing Editor
Club Member

PerfectDraw Draw Tool Review

Yes, I know there is another thread on this amazing product but I wanted to post another. I order mine in 2017 and use it often. So what does it do? Exactly what it’s named for….it creates the perfect draw. As we all know, not every cigar in a box is created equal. Some are under filled, some overfilled, some perfect, and a very few are god like lol. This tool mainly targets the overfilled cigar with little to no draw. But, I would like to add, can also take a ‘perfect cigar’ to the next level.

So how does it work? The perfect draw comes screwed into its own carrying case which is a nicely machined black tube that is smaller in diameter than a good ol fashioned #2 pencil. The end user starts by unscrewing this to expose a longish thin metal shaft with a few rows of different size and length barbs on the end. It looks a bit like an arrow and is just as sharp. Up next is inserting this pointed end into the foot of the cigar while slowly rotating and pushing it up into the cigar. Last step is to pull the perfect draw tool back out of the foot making the same movements….during this step you will feel the device grabbing bits of filler and even hear the barbs breaking them up. After this point I usually tap the foot of my cigar onto a flat object to remove any tobacco dust, and give the cigar a draw test. If the cigar is still tight reinsert and take the hole a little deeper until you get the air volume you are looking for. The PerfectDraw actually removes the tobacco filler instead of pushing it aside like other older draw tools, creating a clear channel.

Here are a few observations I have made over the 4 years I have been utilizing this amazing device. Most of the cigars I choose to enjoy are from Cuba and were made before the widespread use of cigar draw test tools that are now in the factories 1999-2005. So why are you telling me this Mike? Because there were more than a lot of overfilled cigars during this time coming off of the island especially 99-01. These 22 year old cigars, some of which have since been discontinued, taste amazing WHEN they draw like they should. And who wants to throw away something that old and ‘valuable’? Especially after aging it yourself for that many year. NO ONE.

So after all of that preface, here’s my first discovery….most of the time the plugs occurred at or before where the cigar band would be. So the channel you are creating does not have to be that deep or wide, and most definitely does not lead to a zero resistance wind tunnel draw.

Discovery number two has to do with the number of channels you can make. Because the tool is so thin, the end user has the ability to create two or three shallow channels in cigars that aren’t that long, like robustos, to create an amazing draw without going far into the cigar. Why does this matter? Because once the cigar burn reaches where the end of the tool was sometime you might experience a loose draw…and having two or three shallow channels avoids this situation all together.

The last discovery has to do with turning that perfect cigar into a god like one. For me smoking occurs outside on our covered patio either in Central Texas, or on my hammock in Cozumel. Cigars mean a time to relax and enjoy time well spent. This means not having to fight with a cigars draw or burn. So you clip that cigar and the draw is perfect….can it get any better? Yup. With just the addition of a small air channel using the PerfectDraw tool you get the exact same draw every single time, making even perfectly drawing cigars better.

Having said that, if you have a tent peg for a cigar no tool…not even this one will help. Those have been few and far between for me. I save these sticks to light my BBQ smoker

Besides the AccuMonitor that monitors and controls the humidity inside of my walk-in, I cannot think of another cigar accessory that is this important to, at least my, enjoyment of cigars. Sure there are different cutters and lighters, but I think that the draw of a cigar is key to obtaining maximum flavor and combustion.

The bottom line is that this tools is useful and inexpensive. It’s the tool you never knew you needed until after you use it the first time.

https://www.amazon.com/PerfecDraw-Pr.../dp/B071DNRC63
mike s is offline   Reply With Quote