Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > The Sports Bar

The Sports Bar A place for cigar smokin' sports fans to discuss the latest.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-26-2020, 05:05 PM   #7
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatDad View Post
Currently, nothing.

I appreciate the info on the Australian Football League. Many, many years ago in the very early days of ESPN Australian rules football was a staple. Having played club rugby in college, I developed a slight affinity for it even though it's different. Time to renew that acquaintance.
I went into a Wikipedia rabbit hole, last night, researching the sport and the teams. Australian Rules is the OLDEST codified set of football rules in the world, having been originally set down in 1858 before Rugby rules or Association Football (soccer.)

I know they may be Melbourne rivals, but I have decided to follow St. Kilda Saints, who for most of their years have been "underachievers" their guernseys (interesting the we call them jerseys!!) are of similar colors to Fulham Football Club in West London (oldest club in London!)
They are also called Saints, and since I'm not too happy about the NFL and some of the Saints' players, I have another set of Saints to follow.

I also learned that Collingwood, another Melbourne suburb, and a club also dating back to the 19th century (like most of the Melbourne clubs) was derided by rivals for having a sizable Catholic element to their barrackers (supporters) so I will also watch them. They are a "top four" type club, along with Carlton Blues, Essendon, and Richmond Tigers, so I guess that may be my "glory club."

I like a couple players from the recent expansion club West Coast Eagles.

Last night's match between West Coast and Collingwood was also well-attended, the Australian government has opened the stadia to more than a couple hundred folks over this weekend.

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

Last edited by TommyBB; 07-26-2020 at 05:09 PM.
TommyBB is offline   Reply With Quote